Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to get a 85 bronco for real cheap. About the only specific thing i know about the truck is its a 302. I dont know anything about the drivetrain (cept the 5.0 and the d44) is the auto reliable along with the tcase? I know the TTB is junk, but hopefully it wont be there too long. Any advise from people who own/ have owned this vehicle would help

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yes on both.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of tranny is it, C6, C4? and what kind of tcase? i have a 87F150 9inch would that "bolt in" to replace the d44? I have never owned a ford, My expirience is in jeep, and TBI chevys. so im pretty clueless with this truck

·
Registered
25 Posts
I grew up in a 1985 fullsize bronco and in my oppinion it is the best vehicle manufactured in america to date. It has a 302 that was rebuilt 150,000 miles ago and bored ten over when it was done and the compression in the block is still incredibly good. it has 296k miles on it right now and except for some wiring issues (connectors/plastic gets old and brittle) which i have been taking care of steadily it doesnt have many problems. The tranmission is an AOD which in response to ur question on the kind of tranny, AOD is the designation. An AOD tranny is a 4 speed light duty transmission and again my father had it rebuilt 150,000 miles ago as well and the transmission still runs well too, in addition to having about 25,000 miles on the tranny of pulling 3 tons worth of boat and trailer all throughout mexico, lake powel, colorado and utah, la, sandiego, pretty much everywhere. ive been reading up a little on the TTB suspension type as well and theres a neat thread called "Lift and Tire Information For 80-96 Broncos" that sais ttb aint bad except for tires over 35 inches mixed with heavy offroading (which on this site seems to mean it aint tuff unless u roll twice). Bottom line, i LOVE my bronco and im in the process of restoring it now that my father has given it to me. Easy to work on, easy on the eyes, easy to upgrade and lift, fairly large fan base and large knowledge base to work with (this site for one as well as Classicbroncos.com) make them wonderful trucks to own. Thats my oppinion on broncos. Ide say GO FOR IT!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The weak point of this vehicle is the rust issue. If the body is not too bad rust can be repaired, however don't let it go.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have an 85 Bronco and I love it. There has been the normal issues with a 20 year old vehicle, but its real strong. Actually the TTB isn't that bad, it holds its own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts