Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, i am new to posting, i have an 85 bronco that was running fine. All of the sudden it just died. It will start sometimes and not others. it is getting fuel and sometimes i have spark and sometimes i do not??

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having a no spark problem as well. How is the coil tested, I can not find the book. I was driving under heavy accelration and the engine just quit instantly. I put a timing light on it to test for spark and got nothing. There is a small capaciter just before the coil and the wire to it was broken so I have my suspicions. I reconnected it to no avail. I thought coils are fairly bullet proof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a new coil and put it on and still have the same problem! The small capacitor just before the coil is just to prevent noise in the electrical system, will not prevent you from getting spark!

·
Registered
8 Posts
also riggsdua, I have been looking into the stator in the distributor and various others. I am going to go look at my rig now and will post what I find. I am also going to start a new thread with my specific details and see if anyone has a light bulb go off.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,819 Posts
I am not sure of the coil test procedure, but all i did was see if i had voltage on the coil.

I've mentioned this before but I'll do it again---just for drill. Over the last 35 years I've had at least 4 coils on four completely different types of vehicles go bad. If I recall there were 2 that were only producing a fraction of enough output voltage (but enough to keep the engine at least idling) to operate under load, one that had a crack in it (that would emit a lightening bolt to the nearest ground when the gas pedal was stomped on) and one that basically melted it's windings.

Just something to ponder and remember in the future........

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,247 Posts
replace your ignition box......
:stupid That is my guess as well. I'm not sure, but I believe AZ will test them for free, and they're not very expensive.

Before you do replace it, are you getting a full 12v to power the coil?

KC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.