Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up a 85 bronco with a 302 in it, went to get it smogged and they informed me it wouldn't pass because the emissions light wasn't functioning.

i pulled the instrument panel out and discovered that there isn't even a socket for the bulb there but also the circuitry doesn't go all the way over to where the emissions light should go so i'm assuming that there should be a wire coming out of the hole behind it. am i going to have to pull the whole dash out in order to see if there is a wire back there?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I believe it's a clip with a wire on the back... been a year since I looked at mine, and I still haven't gotten it to work. (Haven't tried too hard!)
I don't know that that light does anything else except light up every 60000 miles to remind about a routine smog system maintenance.
See the post by miesk5 here:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169378&highlight=emissions

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Is your truck fuel injected?

State inspection/emissions laws vary from state to state....where are you located?

Kind of sounds like your truck never had the light hooked up? Maybe try another inspection station?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry, yes it is fuel injected, i live in california so if the emissions light doesn't come one with key on then off on startup then it's an automatic fail on your emissions testing.

so i have to get the light functioning in order to get it to pass. i has to have used to have one because it passed smog back in '06 but since then i have no clue what the owners did to it.

·
Super Moderator
26,951 Posts
yo,
Until someone else can give you a pic or better info;

Emission Maintenance Warning (EMW) TSB 89-22-08 for 85-89 Bronco, F Series & many others; the light will display the word "EMISSIONS"; For 1988-89 model year vehicles, the light will display the words "CHECK ENGINE". When the light is lit, it is indicating that the 60,000 mile emission maintenance should be performed. After the maintenance is performed the EMW module must be reset to zero time. Another type of module is the "IMS" module. This module is not part of the light circuit and does not require maintenance. At a predetermined time, the IMS module directs the EEC IV processor to make a strategy change. A third type of module is the "COMBO" module. This module combines the functions of the IMS and the EMW modules. ACTION: Refer to the following module application charts for the specific vehicle application and location of the different types of modules. NOTE: FOR APPLICATIONS NOT LISTED IN THE FOLLOWING MODULE APPLICATION CHARTS, THE "CHECK ENGINE" LIGHT IS CONTROLLED BY THE EEC IV PROCESSOR. THESE VEHICLES DO NOT USE THE "EMW" MODULE. Module Location is bottom of IP, left of steering wheel. See site for Ford part numbers
Source: by Ford via Steve83 at http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?t=5221&page=2

Emission Maintenance Warning Overview & Reset; "...It is a little black plastic module behind the dashboard located on a metal bracket between the steering column and the windshield wiper switch. Looks about 1 inch wide, 2 inches tall, and connector on the top. It is solidly mounted to a bracket with a couple of screws, so it can be removed to make things easier. To see it, you will need to rig the door so that the dome lights/foot lights do not come on - if you don't you will look right into a burning lamp. Take a flashlight and hand mirror to find it. With the mirror up under dashboard on left side of steering column, shine light into mirror toward the backside of panel.. You should see the module. You will not see any hole or reset label on the side you can see. It is on the side of the module away from the steering column, near the top. I saw what looks like a white blob of paint, says reset under it. My guess is that you punch through the white blob with the Phillips screwdriver. Doesn't look too easy, you may need someone to help with the ignition switch part that follows. Here are the exact Ford instructions: Step 1. Turn ignition keyswitch to Off position. Step 2. Lightly push a Phillips screwdriver through the 0.2 inch diameter hole with the sticker labeled "RESET" and lightly press down and hold. Go to Step 3. Step 3. With the screwdriver still pressing down, turn ignition switch to the RUN position. The EMW lamp will then light and should remain lighted for as long as screwdriver is pressed down. Hold the screwdriver down for 5 seconds. Go to Step 4. Step 4. Remove the screwdriver The lamp should go out in 2 to 5 seconds indicating a reset has occurred.. If not, start over at step 1. Turn the ignition switch to OFF and go to step 5. Step 5. Turn the ignition to the RUN position. EMW Lamp should go off in 2 to 5 seconds. If not, repeat the procedure. The book also says that some modules do not have the reset hole, and would need to be replaced. Removing the connector will also turn off the light. Note that there is also a device called “The Inferred Mileage Sensor” and it is not the same thing as “The Extended Useful Life Sensor” but may be in the same enclosure in some trucks..."
Source: by Ford via subford

Emission Maintenance Warning (EMW) Module Location Depiction; Bottom Of IP, Left Of Steering Column; Miesk5 NOTE; Ryan labels it as the Inferred Mileage Sensor
Source: by Ryan M (Fireguy50) at http://fordfuelinjection.com/public/relays_84-86_Bronco-ECM.jpg

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
what mieks posted should help. Best thing you can do is go to helminc.com and order a wiring diagram for your truck. Then once you have that in hand figure out what the PO did to the light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts