Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

85 SAS with chevy running gear

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  89broncodove 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to do a SAS on my 85. I currently have a super lift 6" suspension and running 38.5 boggers. Im going To be switching to 42x14x16 iroks. The monkey wrench in the project is that I'm gonna use the passenger side drop Dana 60 from my totaled 85 GMC and also the 14 bolt rear. I know, GM parts,but dont be a hater,I'm a ford man just using what I have.( my GM axles already have lockers,35 splines,disc brakes,hydraulic assist steering,and 5.13 gears) I'd be dumb not to use them. What I've found out so far is that I can use a Dana 300 transfer case and buy the adapter from advanced adapters that would mate it to my C6. This would give me a passenger side drop system. I really want to use coils and radius arms but my GM axles (of course) are already set up for leafs. I need info on whether or not I can go with coils or do I have to stay with leafs, and if so how much more lift do I need other than the 6" lift coils I already have? I also have the 12" leaf suspension from my 85 Gmc...is this usable on the bronco?

#2 ·
You could use the leafs, but the frame is narrower on the chevys, so youd have to fab new leaf spring mounts for the axle since you wouldnt be able to use the one cast into the diff. In this case, coils might be the easier swap.

If you want, get a ford 203 and bolt a chevy np205 behind it. Bam! Extra gearing, and itll work with your chevy D60. Thats what id do, instead of a D300.

6" coils will not be enough to clear the 42s unless you cut the hell out of your fenders (speaking from experience). If you dont want to cut the fenders youll need a 3" body lift, and another inch or two of suspension lift. Mild cutting the 3" body lift will be enough; major cutting, just the 6" springs.

#3 ·
Thats exactly what I did on my 78. Chevy D60 with extended radius arms and deaver coils running 42's. I had ORD build me a doubler using a ford 203 and a chevy 205. Another good thing about doing it that way is you could put a lowmax kit in the chevy 205 and make it 3 to 1, extra, extra gearing.

#5 ·
Reptillikus, thanks for the info, i really want to stay with coils. If I get extended length coil cups( or whatever you call them) do you think that an extra 2" would give me enough height for 42s using my 6" coils? Or should I just go with a coil comparable to 10" of lift?

#7 ·
if i were you i'd do a simple three link on the front with a panhard, i did it on a leaf sprung 99 super duty front axle in which case the drivers side mount on the axle was part of the differential housing i didn't want to cut it off so i left the leaf spring pads on and built plat forms up and over to the C's, i did this as simple as i could with very few machined parts, most of which could have easily been made with a torch, grinder, and drill, or something of that nature, as long as you trust your welding then it can be done, i went overkill and used half inch plate to make all my link tabs and so far everything holds up nicely, i also reused the stock upper coil bucket and shock mount that is already on the frame, check out my build thread if you want pics, its not professional quality as i am just now finishing school for machine tool and welding, but it definitely works awesome, oh and i also reused the 6" superlift front coils i had on the ttb and cut the piss out of my fenders (function over form) its currently on 38's until i can afford 40's or 42's....and for this particular setup it will work

here's the link
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200239

#8 ·
I had the deaver 6" coils and cut fenders on mine and cleared 42's no problem. The main issue was the body mount behind the front tire, not sure if its a problem on the newer broncos.
Here's a pic of the chevy 60 under mine with the 6" coils.

And here's how I got around the body mount issue.

#9 ·
I appreciate all this helpful info. I've hooked up with a local fab shop that converts street trucks to "tractor tire" trucks (a fabrication Guru). We've decided to use my 12" springs with 2" shackles, gonna remove a leaf per spring to "soften the ride". Gonna run My 44/19 boggers instead of 42s. I've got a Dana 300 getting freshened up now, have purchased the adapter kit/ clocking ring from advanced adapters to put it behind my C6. Were also gonna put links with Hiems on the d60 to prevent axle wrap in the front. Were gonna use my existing ladder bars for the 14 bolt in the rear. Once the np208 and crossmember is removed, he's gonna fab a new cross member to house the tranny/Dana 300 and to allow for the pass. side driveshaft. All this should start to take place starting Mon Feb 6. I will do my best my to keep you alll posted and want to post pics from start to finish; before and after.

#10 ·
Seems like a lot of work just to run leaf springs. He's going to do the same work to build heimed anti-wrap bars to control the axle wrap as he would to build custom radius arms or a 3 link. To each his own, but coils seem to be the better option for cost and performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.