Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1986 302 EFI. Truck hesitates to start, when it finally does will not rev over 2,000 without bogging down and backfiring through intake. Checked all Vac. hoses, replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, checked timing and timing is correct. checked codes only code i got was 11, and a continuos memory code #18. Will somebody please tell me what i have to do to fix, or at least the description of code #18? thanks

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
setusupthebomb said:
1986 302 EFI. Truck hesitates to start, when it finally does will not rev over 2,000 without bogging down and backfiring through intake.
Mine was doing the exact same thing

change the CTS (coolant temp sensor $19.00) truck fixed

(an 86 too)

Sixlitre

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sixlitre, was your temp gauge working? my gauge works -start it, its on cold, let it idle (when it will) for about 10 mins and its at normal operating temp.-would that really cause all the problems im having? not questioning ur intel. or anything but just wondering why that would cause this thx

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
setusupthebomb said:
sixlitre, was your temp gauge working? my gauge works -start it, its on cold, let it idle (when it will) for about 10 mins and its at normal operating temp.-would that really cause all the problems im having? not questioning ur intel. or anything but just wondering why that would cause this thx
Yes my temp gauge was working fine

I'll tell you plainly, all us 80-86ers suffer occasional (but massive) temp gauge fluctuations until the day we install 3G 130 amp alternators. After that every electrical gremlin I ever had disappeared and hasn't returned in 5 years.

Sixlitre

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Code 18 = IDM circuit failure or SPOUT circuit grounded. Make sure your SPOUT connector is still in place and/or have your TFI module tested.

BTW your temp gage has nothing to do with the ECT. You have one temp sender on the driver's side of the intake(the one with the single wire) for your temp gage. The ECT is on or by the water neck(pass side of intake) and has a connector with either 2 or 3 wires. This is the one that sends the temp signal to the ECM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

Thanks to all who helped! just got through puttin in the new ECT sensor in (kind of an akward location) and she started right up first try no prob, idling great and drives like new again! props to sixlitre and sorry for the noob q's.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Glad it worked for you setusupthebomb

Mine had been dead since last May though I didn't notice it until the cold weather set in. I was about to change the TPS, but someone here said try the CTS first and they was right !

Sixlitre

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
OK, now I'm wondering why a bad ECT wouldn't give you a code for the ECT but there was code 18 which has nothing to do with the ECT?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bob;
I bet the reason he didn't throw an ECT code is that there was nothing wrong with it in the first place. In replacing it I'm sure he had to move and wiggle all kinds of wires down by the dist. In doing so I would bet the made a good conection again.
Whatever, sure glade you got it running. If it starts to act up again look at your wiring.

Steve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts