Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, time to play help the amature. I’ll try to keep this as concise as possible so please bear with me, engine is an 86 302.

Eight months ago or so I did the “ignition upgrade and timing bump” at the same time I ran across a deal on brand new fuel injectors so I replaced those too. Not my daily driver, but I did drive it quite a bit for the next two weeks. Ran great. Went to crank one day and it ran extremely rough, would cut out if you didn’t keep your foot on the gas, and then cut out and would not restart. Well since gas was getting pricey and I was juggling a full time job and school I figured I’d just work on it later.

Fast forward to present, daily driver now has coolant in the oil, time to fix the Bronco. No start. Just sounds like a dead or weak battery, battery is only a year old so I pulled and had it tested, it checked out OK. I noticed the under hood light would flash on an off if you bumped the positive battery cable, cable looked really good, but the ends looked really rough, replaced ends. No more flashing light. While I was at it I replaced the starter solenoid too since it was only $12. Still nothing but that same weak battery sound, or perhaps it would be more proper to say no combustion is occurring, but the starter is turning.

Pulled the starter and noticed one of the bearings had separated and was loose on the shaft. Took it to Advance and had it tested, no good. Replaced starter. Still nothing. Checked fuel pressure, 35 psi at the rail. Low but, still in Haynes specs and still no combustion. You can, however, smell fuel in the engine compartment. All the injectors are still seated properly. Good spark at the #1 plug wire.

Now I’m sure by this point you are wondering why this idiot didn’t pull the codes. Well, tried that several times with the check engine light method before I ever even did the ignition upgrade and never could get it to work. I even bought one of the little Accutron code readers and it won’t read anything, zip, zilch, nada.

I’ve read through soooo many posts in the last day or so and it looks like maybe an EEC issue, maybe PIP.

I’m getting a might frustrated here, any thoughts? :banghead

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Rusty

so it now rolls over ? and you're getting spark ? and it ran rough previously ?

This a 1000 miles away guess, but I think your coolant temp sensor (not the one that reads temp for the gauge) has packed it in.

It exhibits hard starting,(if at all) like there's no choke on a carbed engine.

They're less than $20.00 a piece

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=BOR&MfrPartNumber=WT381&PartType=290&PTSet=A

and a piece of cake to change. Try it and get back to us with more symptoms

Sixlitre

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rusty

so it now rolls over ? and you're getting spark ? and it ran rough previously ?
Yes, to all those questions.

And just to confirm this is the sensor located about 10cm directly to the left of the TFI module, correct?

I have decided the words "Haynes Repair Manual" are latin for "vague".

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Yes, to all those questions.

And just to confirm this is the sensor located about 10cm directly to the left of the TFI module, correct?

I have decided the words "Haynes Repair Manual" are latin for "vague".
I'm not under my hood right now

but it's easily locatable just to the passenger's side of the dist, yes. Buy one for $14.00 and compare it to yours, you'll find it.

Too bad the codes failed for you, that would be more conclusive for you. This, like I say, is a stab in the dark from 1000 miles away.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sixlitre, I'll take an expierenced guess from thousands of miles away over my inexperience any day. :thumbup

I did replace the coolant temp sensor. No good. The fuel odor seemed very strong this time though, smelled it right when I got out of the cab.

I was speaking with a customer of mine yesterday, who seems to be a pretty decent mechanic, and he mentioned a cam sensor. A search revealed this thread:

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110717&highlight=cam+position+sensor

So I'll work through the steps in post #6 and see what happens......

I've got some temporary wheels now so it's not quite as big of an issue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Seems odd to me that the fuel smell would be that strong. Any leaks anywhere that you can spot? Any chance there's fuel coming out of the vacuum port on the fuel pressure regulator?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, the fuel smell thing just strikes me as odd too. I've checked and double checked the new injectors to make sure one didn't work it's way loose. The fuel pressure regulator crossed my mind too. No, no leaks that I can find.

Fuel filter......hmmm, I need to check that out.

I did figure out when I changed the plugs that my block is an 87 block.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.