Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi FSB, couple weeks ago I had a short sputter from the engine, but it picked back up a couple seconds later with no problem. Then, a couple hours later while driving the motor just stopped, had all electrical, but engine wouldn't start to save my ass. Had to have it towed home. Next day it started, but idle was extremely low and acts retarded, while giving gas it wants to die. A friend is helping with repair who knows his fords, started by changing plugs, wires, distributor cap/rotor all new, new starter, battery, coil new. It gets fuel to carb, and gets spark. Like I said, it does turnover and idles, but it's messed up. My buddy thinks timing chain may have slipped so I've purchased chain/gears but not installed. Any other ideas that would cause these sypmtoms? Thanks in advance! :thumbup

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's a carb? Which carb? Timing chains don't slip, they stretch and break, but not slip. have you checked the timing?

Has the fuel filter ever been changed? I found three filters on mine, so look at all of them.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,123 Posts
Timing chains don't slip, they stretch and break, but not slip.
If the gears are nylon, they do break and therefore the chain does slip.......

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine aren't nylon, none of my trucks ever were or my Mustang's, did Ford use them?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my reading I believe they had a nylon coating from stock, but not actually nylon, I have zero actual experience just research. Sorry, filters were changed also, should it matter which carb if getting fuel? Stock most likely, I'm 2nd owner. Jrgunn5150, if a gear tooth is hooked or missing, won't the chain "slip" and then be out of time thus somewhat "retarded"? Timing has been checked, it's firing off. I'm just curious if something else could mimic these sypmtoms in case after the chain/gear swap still in point A... Thanks for the replies :thumbup

·
Registered
192 Posts
You are both correct in that nylon gears will do that. Fords weird and changes things just because that particular day ends with a "y" I"m just trying to eliminate easier things before you tear the front of the motor off.

When you say it's firing "off" have you cranked the distributor to see if you can bring it back to running correctly? You should have enough range to do that and it will give you a more solid lead.

It doesn't matter terribly, but Autlites do work somewhat differently than Holleys, not alot though. As for the filters, that's what I thought until I found two more lol, that's why I brought it up, I had fuel at idle and low speeds, but I would slowly drain my fuel bowl until I died then had to crank forever to get it running just to die three miles down the road on me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brutha the first thing that came to mind while stranded in the middle of nowhere was a filter clogged or fuel delivery obstructed somewhere, but after troubleshooting, my friend found it was getting plenty of fuel, that would have been nice. Spark and gas, check. We lined up the teeth with the rotor and noticed it's off, possible chain is fine and a way to repair easier??? Just align through the cap??? Not worried about a few bucks in parts, but would save my buddy from tearing the front off my bronco lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well once you're in there you may as well change the chain too, if it goes that far. If you loosen the holddown bolt and adjust the distributor one way then the other, it should make a noticeable difference if your timing chain has jumped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts