Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.0 bone stock
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt my 86 5.0 recently. New rings, bearings, seals, gaskets, hone, etc. I put it all back together, primed the oil pump, dropped the distributor in and after a bit of cranking, she fired up but was idling really rough and died. I messed with the timing some and it never really got much better. I’m almost certain I have the distributor in correctly, I made extra sure I got it dropped and not a cog off.
I also have not set the timing with a light yet (won’t run good enough to do so). I double checked my plug wires and they are run correctly. I fiddled with it until my solenoid got really hot and decided to give it a break.

Not sure what to do at this point. It was running great when I tore it down.

2 things, I do not have my O2 sensor wire hooked up yet, and I was going to put a Jew EGR tube on but the one that came in didn’t fit so I just plugged it for now.

I saw some instructions on dropping the distributor on another recent post (doing it at 10 degrees marked on the balancer) I may try that but I’m open to any other suggestions. This is my first EFI engine to monkey with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you 100% sure that the engine was at TDC when you stabbed the dizzy to point to the number one position? If it were 180° out, it would be a problem obviously.
I would nearly bet my life on it...but that is something I have been thinking about. I know I had it on TDC when it was on the stand, but I don’t know if anybody that has been in my shop (can think of a couple) that would have messed with it.

I JUST went back out there again and tried it, and it fires up, surges a few time and dies. I’m going to pull the distributor and reinstall as per those new instructions I saw, just to eliminate that as a possibility.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
853 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, stabbed 180° off, the only other things I can think would be a sensor not plugged in, or a vacuum line off which I'm sure you were dillegent about making sure they were all connected. Mine had the o2 sensor wires pinched between engine and trans. Sounds like something simple.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well there’s your problem right there...the little doo dad that keeps the hall sensor in one place is broken and it was just rattling all around, no wonder why it never really mattered where I moved the distributor...guess I’m going to Autozone after Sunday service tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
5,938 Posts
Those pick up coils(hall sensor)are a real PIA to replace, you have to remove the gear which is pressed on. Most folks just replace the whole distributor. And stay away from Autozone

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those pick up coils(hall sensor)are a real PIA to replace, you have to remove the gear which is pressed on. Most folks just replace the whole distributor. And stay away from Autozone
Yeah, I have already looked into fixing what I got and that’s a no go. The distributor that AZ carries is a well reviewed all new model built in Canada (spectra) they have lots of glowing reviews online for this particular model, however they charge 40 bucks more for it than I can get it off Amazon for...but the local store has one today and I don’t have to wait until Thursday if I ordered one.
Now they call it a Duralast Gold distributor but it has the same part number as the spectra even uses the same stock photo and both say country of origin as Canada. So, guess they charge 40 bucks for a new box.

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
5,938 Posts
Yeah, I have already looked into fixing what I got and that’s a no go. The distributor that AZ carries is a well reviewed all new model built in Canada (spectra) they have lots of glowing reviews online for this particular model, however they charge 40 bucks more for it than I can get it off Amazon for...but the local store has one today and I don’t have to wait until Thursday if I ordered one.
Now they call it a Duralast Gold distributor but it has the same part number as the spectra even uses the same stock photo and both say country of origin as Canada. So, guess they charge 40 bucks for a new box.

Yeah the Spectra is pretty decent. Rockauto would probably be even cheaper than Amazon but it sounds like you're in a a hurry.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sensible Rob says save your money and order it and wait, but impatient rob says you’ve had this thing sitting on a stand for 4 months and you want to see it run!

And the rest of my week is shot with work and kids baseball...so this might be the last chance I have to get in my shop for a week.

·
Registered
1988 Bronco 351windsor EFI
11 Posts
Thank you,
I replaced the distributor from Napa. Spark is yellow and fuel reassure key off 40 psi. Haven’t checked the batt side of coil yet

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well that fixed my horrible running, no power, spitting and dying issue, but now it won’t idle down from around 1400. Got to see if I can figure out why.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I let things cool down and went to check what happens when I unplug the IAC valve, and nothing happens, it stayed idled high. Not sure if that’s normal or not.
I then adjusted the idle screw back about a round and I’ve got it idling around 900 now in park. I may need to clean the throttle body better as my butterflies may be sticking slightly.

Everything sounds good, it’s running good, but I hear something that I’m not sure about. I think I’m hearing the injectors. I got new 4 hole (refurbished) injectors for a 96 explorer I believe. I’m used to hearing them clicking but this noise I hear is more of a buzzing and I can’t pinpoint it but it sounds like it’s coming from the lower intake area. Anybody got an idea?

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
853 Posts
Take a piece of hose and put one end to your ear, & move the other end of the hose to each injector, or pulley, or whatever part you want to zero in on to see where the odd noise is coming from.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally got my hands on a timing light and got the timing set, once I did that the RPMs come down a little at idle, but i adjusted the screw a little and I think it’s good now.

As far as the buzzing sound I’m hearing, I think it’s my exhaust. I have my ypipe on tight but I just slipped my cat and muffler over the end to keep it quiet in my shop and they just kind of hanging. I think I am getting some resonance from that, also the AIR tube on the cat is wide open it could be making a racket. Just used to exhaust being a tick not a buzz, but who knows. I’ll get it installed permanently soon and if it still makes the noise I’ll know I was wrong.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wanted to kind of wrap this thread up, i located the buzzing noise, it was my PCV valve. My friend actually pinpointed that. Got a new one installed yesterday and it's all quiet now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts