Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Later today I'm going to look at and hopefully pick-up an '86 with a 5.8 for a project I want to start this summer. I'm putting together my wish list of what to build and I'm tossing around the idea of adding an EFI system to the engine and I'm looking for arguments for an against the idea. I realize this will take some work but the end result would be to be able to add a remote start and possibly tweak the fuel map for better performance. Let me know what you all think....

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,097 Posts
Fuel injection is the way to go. You'll have 2 choices, SD or MAF. If you make it MAF, even better :thumbup

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been doing a lot of searching and reading this morning and I'm on the fence about the swap. I like the idea of the modern controls and the benefit of installing a remote start system in the truck but beyond that it seems like it'll be a hack job and I'll be diagnosing problems a lot.

I'll continue to do research but for now I'm going to shelve the idea.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remote start is independent of EFI. It'll work better with EFI, but EFI isn't a prerequisite.
It's been a long time since I've operated a carbed vehicle on the daily basis. Wouldn't I have to set the choke by pumping the accelerated twice? This is how I recall doing it years ago. Is there a more modern approach?

·
Registered
216 Posts
had my truck for 8 years with carb and converted to a 95 EFI 351W last fall.I did look at the msd atomic system which would be the easiest way to get efi) but the initial cash outlay was way too much for me and i wanted a system that i kinda knew and could get parts for it at napa on a saturday.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330449

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just walked in the door from buying my latest Bronco. It's an '86 with with the 5.8 HO. I've got some work ahead of me before I have to worry about any remote start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts