Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I recently bought and installed a 6 in kit from RC for f150 or bronco, but I installed the kit on my 86 bronco and am wondering why the camber is wayyyyyy off when I first start driving. I got33x12.5x15 tires on and when I'm driving the front tires are riding on the corner of the side wall. I know I need an alignment yet but I need to figure this problem out first. because an alignment wont fix this problem

does anyone know why this happens?

But the thing i s when I back up the tires angle in sitting flat and the truck sits level. When I'm driving forword the front sitts about 2in higher than the back. I know fords when you back up their is something with the suspension that the tires angle

I called RC and they said the springs have to wear in. I this true? He said at least 100miles of driving or take it down a bumpy back road to really help the springs.

Also one more question, some people told me to switch the steering from bottom to top of knuckle. Is this hard to do? It only looks like I just pop the tie rod off and switch it to the top.

·
Registered
149 Posts
since broncos have the ttb front axle, the angle of the front axle changes when you lift it, causing it to have alot of camber. i cant help you with how to get it aligned though sorry, i think some people on here just took it to a shop and had it aligned.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
did you toe out the tie rods to make the tires point straight again? when the tires point in (negative toe) this will push the TTB up and give you a shitload of positive camber. just the opposite for negative toe.

if this kit has the 2 bolt holes, one for 4'' lift, other for 6'' lift....did you make sure to put the TTB pivots in the lower bolt?

did you install adjustable camber bushings on the upper ball joints while you did the lift? if you did not, then you need to.

and while the springs will settle, it will not happen in 100 miles, and a bumpy road isn't going to make it happen immediately. it's gonna take a good year for them to fully drop an inch or so. the tech you talked to doesn't know what he's talking about.

check what i mentioned, and get it to an alignment shop now. it needs to be aligned.

as far as the knuckle over steering, you can NOT just flip the TRE (tie rod end) into the top of the knuckle. you need a reamer, or a tapered fit sleeve (an offroad company sells them, i can't remember who), inside the knuckle for the TRE to have a proper press fit. DO NOT do this mod until you have done proper research.

and it will still need to be re-aligned after doing the knuckle over as the geometry changes.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Yes it will. :doh0715:

Go get an alignment. ;)
Then get another one in about 6,000 miles.
+1

The back is sitting low cause the rear springs are worn out. when broncos came out stock the rear end sat about 1 inch higher than the front. when you put the lift on the rear was saging even and now its lower then the front casue of the sag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the axel brackets are in the bottom bolt hole.
No I didn't do camber sleeve yet. I plan on doing that soon, when I do new ball joints. I did notice one tire was angled out more. After alignment I will check into to TRE flip so I'm not going through steering components. This is just a mud truck so its just sitting in storage for now. I didn't want to touch anything that deals with the alignment because I don't want to mess it up more

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I went to take a look at it In storage and I noticed the tie rod for causing the positive camber.

Now those camber adjusting sleeve is there an easier way to pop those out, without having to pop the ball joint off?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
i don't know exactly how the camber bushings work, just that you need them.

if those tires are toed in (which i bet they are) you will need to toe them back straight.

if you don't want to fawk with the alignment shit, after you get all the needed parts installed, get it towed to a shop for the alignment.

·
Foolsize Member
1,570 Posts
Take it to a decent shop to get lined up.
I was able to get my 3.2* alignment bushings for about 60 bucks, took it to a good shop, they aligned it and went through everything and made sure it was all square and that was the end of it.

You seem to be over complicating it a bit.:thumbup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I adjusted the tie rod ends out and the tires are good. I don't know I might wait on the alignmenttill spring. Its a mud truck so I will just be messing the alignment up right away anyways it drove fine when I took it for a ride. Duing taxes I will probably use the money on new tires and pay a shop to align them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts