Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
85 Bronco-Cut out on Eway

Runs fine and normal on streets doing normal speeds. Also, in mornings it runs fine on eway. Driving home from work today it starts sputtering and cutting out going up a hill on Eway. Had plenty of gas in tank. Speed was 65. If I don't let off gas, it dies. I searched but couldn't come up with much. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, happened again this morning on the way to work. Kinda confused as to why it wouldn't happen at normal speeds.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was reading about someone using 87 in their bronco and it ran like this. Could that cause it to cut out and sputter going up hills and going above 45MPH. Also, when it starts to do this, the only thing I can do to keep it from dying is letting off the gas. Once it slows down, it drives good as long as I keep it slow.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plugs are new, plug wires looked good. I will check into getting a new rotor, cap. Also will check the fuel filter.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I had to replace the fuel pump on the frame rail. I kept driving it like that for awhile and it eventually left me on the side of the road.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies. Gonna replace fuel filter after work.

strictlystangs2-thanks for the link. Lots of informative info on there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dobermansx said:
Mine did the same thing. I had to replace the fuel pump on the frame rail. I kept driving it like that for awhile and it eventually left me on the side of the road.
That makes since since its only doing it at high speeds/uphill driving when more fuel is needed. Thanks for the response. I will check into that.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Is it EFI 302 or a carbed 351w

strictlystangs2 said:
I second, is the check engine light on?
The Check engine light doesn't have to be opn for there to be codes.
BigDippin said:
No check engine light.
You dont even have a check engine light, you have an emmisions light.

If it is EFI then check it for codes.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

Try running the test as normal watching the emmisions light. If nothing happens rerun the test using the test light method.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree, the info was in my signature but for some reason it isn't showing up all the time. THats why I thought it was already posted. Sorry for the mistake.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
BigDippin said:
I agree, the info was in my signature but for some reason it isn't showing up all the time. THats why I thought it was already posted. Sorry for the mistake.
1. Your sig line only apears in your first post of any given thread.

2. Your sig reads 1985 351w, but the title of this thread states a 1986. I assumed from the diferent year that it was a diferant vehichle. :toothless

Many of our members own more than one. :toothless

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man, I'm totally loosing it. Thanks for catching that. Its an 1985. It is my only bronco at the moment. Just got it last week. Thanks for catching my mess ups.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts