Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 86 Bronco w/ a 351W. My Question is did it come out stock with a cat? I am needing to know what I need to do to get it to pass emissions? Thanks everyone!!

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Gentoe said:
I am looking to buy a 86 Bronco w/ a 351W. My Question is did it come out stock with a cat? I am needing to know what I need to do to get it to pass emissions? Thanks everyone!!
That's a big yes

Just about every light duty truck after 77 came with a cat.

The Little Red Express trucks spoiled it for everyone in 78' when they rubbed the EPA's nose in it with those cat-free stacks.

By 79' they had Dodge's number and they were wearing twin cats before those stacks. We've been "shackled" like cars ever since (Ba$turds!)

Sixlitre

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your cat problem solved

Gentoe, I am also in CO and I believe they just did away with the emissions test about a month or so ago in the counties that had it. At least for personally owned vehicles. My step Daughter went to renew her registration and they told her that the emmisions test was no longer needed. Later a friend told me that some reasons they stopped checking is because they were not finding many out of compliance vehicles and it was still costing the state a lot of $$, $$ they dont have to begin with. Check into it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I saw the same news story I wonder if it was just for the more rural counties.. I would definitely call the DMV and get the skinny on it...

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
While I was living in CO (Colo Spgs) the emissions tests were only required for people who lived on the "Front Range". Basically everything from Fountain to Ft Colins. When I moved to Elicott the only reason I still had to get checked was because I was in the city more than a certain number of days a year, don't remember how many it was tho. I left in 91 to so I'm sure a lot has changed.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
87EBBronco said:
While I was living in CO (Colo Spgs) the emissions tests were only required for people who lived on the "Front Range". Basically everything from Fountain to Ft Colins. When I moved to Elicott the only reason I still had to get checked was because I was in the city more than a certain number of days a year, don't remember how many it was tho. I left in 91 to so I'm sure a lot has changed.
Sounds very "Big Brotherish" !:shocked

Why'd you tell them ?

Sixlitre

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
I was in the AF and had to have tags to get my base pass, to get the tags I had to pass emmissions. I never had a problem. I had two vehicles at the time a 71 Blazer and a 73 Pontiac Ventura. The closest to a problem I had was when they saw the tank on the pontiac was punched to accept the leaded regular nozzle. They were going to fail me on that until I pointed out that it was a 73 designed to run on leaded, the tank had rusted out and I replaced it with a JY from a 74 Omega. I passed.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
87EBBronco said:
I was in the AF and had to have tags to get my base pass, to get the tags I had to pass emmissions. I never had a problem. I had two vehicles at the time a 71 Blazer and a 73 Pontiac Ventura. The closest to a problem I had was when they saw the tank on the pontiac was punched to accept the leaded regular nozzle. They were going to fail me on that until I pointed out that it was a 73 designed to run on leaded, the tank had rusted out and I replaced it with a JY from a 74 Omega. I passed.
Man !

they're tough ! We never checked anything before 1984 and we didn't start emissions check here until 2004 and I never had them check my leaded filler neck (on some of my Mopars). TG my Bronco's 20 years old and exempt now.

Sixlitre

1 - 9 of 9 Posts