Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 ford bronco 302 5.0 I just replaced the distributor starter radiator battery cables. When I drive it it runs fine but when it's running operational temp, when I turn it off it won't start up it has a slow crank, then with the key on engine off my gauge tells me it's running too hot so I have to wait until it cools off until it will start up again. What could it be?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
First get a real temp gauge and see what your temps realy are. Also your starter could be getting heat soaked, if so make a heat shield for it. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can that really happen with the starter? I just replaced that not that long a go either like 3 months ago. If it is then what can I use to make a good heat shield?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Yes it can realy happen, had problem with mine for years and went through who knows how many starters. Made a heat shield and solved my problem. Made it out of an old heat shield for a car muffler.

Keep in mind if your engine is over heating then that can cause your problem also and you need to address that problem asap! That's why I said get a real temp gauge so you know. Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips went down and bought a shield from an hot rod shop that was pretty expensive, but still doing the same thing. Should I try replacing the starter to see if anything changes? I will be replacing all the cooling components pretty soon to see if that helps, but I heard the same symptom that I have may be cause by coolant getting in the cyl? How do I test that

·
Registered
666 Posts
Your options are to do a compression test, look for anti freeze in the oil, and white smoke at the tail pipe.

Before you spend anymore time and money, do the compression test as it will indicate the general condition of the rings. If within specs then proceed with your cooling tune up. I would also do the heater core and hoses while you are working on the water pump.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,087 Posts
Have a set of jumper cables with you. The next time you experience this issue, make a new ground and see if that helps. Connect the jumper cable to the Negative post/cable and the other end to the engine somewhere you can get a good ground. Then try to start it. If it turns over better, clean and replace your ground cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried the jumper cables it didn't make a difference, just gonna replace the starter and try to get as much as heat away as possible from the exhaust

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
I went thru this a few years ago and I wound up replacing the starter motor and then the battery 850CCA from Costco. The life expectancy for starter motors is around 5 years as is your battery. Definitely check all battery cables and wires that converge on the starter relay so there's no resistance, ground the NEG battery cable to the frame, on the 86 there are OEM holes in the frame just make a hold down bracket, bare the cable to the core and you're good to go......last, "pull codes" from the computer to see what if any elec./electronic faults arte indicated......:doh0715:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help guys replaced the starter and it's fine now but I still think I'm gonna do the cooling syst next week. Any body know what size is a good spacer for the tires? They run a little bit and I wanna have a little more wide clearence I'm running bfg all terrains on stock lift

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
Check my video here...http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/783663

You can pull codes one of two ways, buy an OBD-1 battery operated Ford Code Reader with diagnostic book containing fault codes with explanations, the 86 EFI BKO is a 2 digit fault code for self dynamic tests and test connectors are located on the passenger inside fender liner behind the battery area.

You can buy one on Amazon for $24.99

OR

You can pulse codes using a paper clip which is a little more involved....lol lol.. but gets the job done.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts