Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have an 86 bronco. we have 10 grand. we want to built a street legal
midly built 4x4 prerunner/chase vehicle. its all stock, except for the 33" bfg mts. it came with a 302 and i assume its a c-4.

can someone help tell me where to spend the money, if you had to divide all that between, suspension, seats, roll bar, motor, tranny, rear end.....

whats priority? can we keep the stock rear end? tranny? what has to be replaced and what can we keep.

one of my concerns is the motor? a 302? is that even worth dropping money into, or should we get a 351?

right now the 302 is a dog with those 33's and stock gears. or should we spend most of the money on suspension and leave the motor stock and just regear?

also, i have a built 460 and C-6 that i could look to swapping in. but doesnt a 460 weigh 720 lbs? how much does the 302 wiegh?

whats yalls opinion?
- hobie

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Personally I'd go with something more lightweight. But thats just me. :shrug

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
I think you will want to focus on building a sweet 351w.
If the drivetrain needs anything, then freshen it up.
If you just have a 460 laying around, that would certainly work and save money.
then do up your suspension.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
10k!!! damn

well if you are willing to spend it all...personally heres what i would do in your situation
if you are looking to do prerunner

351w motor w/ newer mustang EFI w/ mass air setup...built maybe a stroker motor..heads intake etc etc maybe a supercharger
9inch rear gussetted
gears
tires
long travel front suspension(start here at http://www.camburg.com/ ...they have amazing 4x4 suspensions for your front supension set-up...its pricey though)
roll cage and seats w/ harnesses
trans rebuild
exhaust
oh...rear suspension
and you will have plenty of money to be spent on random stuff everywhere on the truck

dc

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
351W built up either EFI or Carbed 4000.00
4.10's Detroit in the rear 1500.00
6" lift w/all the goodies 800.00
resivoir shocks 450.00
35's 600.00
Cage 800.00
Taurus fan 40.00 for everything
Saginaw PS pump 75.00 for everything including new HP hose
OBA 350.00
3G 130 Amp alt 75.00

THats how I would spend 10 g's if I had to do it over again AND was building a prerunner

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Motors are EXPENSIVE to build...esp if you want EFI, blower, etc. That could eat up 10k budget if your doing a hi-po one. If you have a good runnning 460 i would use it, just check it out make sure its runnin good. Theres no replacement for displacement. Go find the EFI off of a newer 460 truck motor and use it.(i think a 302 efi harness will work on it). Maybe do some small upgrades, possibly a new cam. Buy a nice 6 inch lift with extended radius arms and new rear leafs, regear, 35-36" tires, selectable lockers....

Then if you got some left over, make/pay for some custom bumpers, and get a winch. Do the little stuff, like OBA, big alternator, etc

of course, the more you shop around a look for stuff the better deals your gonna find and more money you'll save, which means even more mods.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
If I had that kind of money to waste, I mean spend on my truck in one go, I would start with a rebuilt motor, 351 sounds right. Then rebuild or upgrade the drivetrain from there. Once the drive train is bullet proof, than go with the lift and tires and I think that would do it, in fact you would probably be over even if you do most the work yourself.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Swap the engine with a 351, efi would be best for a prerunner i think. Next, take out the 302 and stock interior and suspesion stuff, sell it on here for cheap and get even more money to spend on the project. Get the drivtrain bullet proof and then suspension. after roll cage and with a few extra dollar buy yourself a 12 pack for all of your hard work:beer (not while driving it of course):banghead

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
derrick36 said:
$10k worth of hookers and blow.
Throw in a few cases of beer.......and I'm all in!!!!

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Just spend around $4000 in engine and tranny upgrades...then save the other 6k for a week's worth of gas :brownbag

Really though, I think Mr. 81Bronc up there has a pretty good setup laid out for you.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
send me 1400 for a new engine and you can do whatever you want to with the rest of it....lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
SAS
351W with fuel injection and a Fast or Jet computer
6" lift, with shocks that have the resevior
B&M tranny/TC/driveshafts

I'd be over my $10Grand most likely,

I bought myself the 8" skyjacker with rear leaf springs, and a 351W for $3000
I have yet to install them, but thats next to free minus the beer costs and nuts and bolts.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
bluesquirrel said:
Thats the last thing you want for a prerunner. (meaning, you don't want it at all)

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
hobie said:
we have an 86 bronco. we have 10 grand. we want to built a street legal
midly built 4x4 prerunner/chase vehicle. its all stock, except for the 33" bfg mts. it came with a 302 and i assume its a c-4.

can someone help tell me where to spend the money, if you had to divide all that between, suspension, seats, roll bar, motor, tranny, rear end.....

whats priority? can we keep the stock rear end? tranny? what has to be replaced and what can we keep.

one of my concerns is the motor? a 302? is that even worth dropping money into, or should we get a 351?

right now the 302 is a dog with those 33's and stock gears. or should we spend most of the money on suspension and leave the motor stock and just regear?

also, i have a built 460 and C-6 that i could look to swapping in. but doesnt a 460 weigh 720 lbs? how much does the 302 wiegh?

whats yalls opinion?
- hobie

I'm assuming your chase vehicle will see very little street action, correct ?

Also that you'll be "chasing" some kind of competitive vehicle, correct ?

Also that you still have 10K AND the free 460 ?

If all that is true I'd be 460ing it all the way ! A 460 will have no torque problems spinning the stock 3.55 gears,but realize it ain't hard to lunch the stock axles with a 460. Then spend the rest pre-runnering the rest of the chasis.

If it's going to see much street then EFI 351 (or stroke the 351 to 408)

Sixlitre

BTW Are you sure your 86 isn't a 4 speed auto AOD ?

Sixlitre

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Just dont spend $800 in gauges and $450 for batterys that sit on the shelf of your garage while the walmart 39.99 battery for a chebby starts your truck every single time when its cold.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts