Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all once again,

I have discovered a new and exciting issue with the Bko,

I was driving it on saturday and the radio started switching off and on by itself,

I looked at the dash and I had gone from 1/4 tank to 1/2 tan, and all my guages were reading way high.....

I stopped, turned left and everything dropped back to normal,,,

Since then, I have had hit and miss luck with the BKO starting,

I read a thread on here that was exactly what I am experiencing,,

When I turn the key, the started sounds like it is trying to engage, grinds, and nothing,,,

I have bright interior lights, everything else works fine, but no joy on getting it started, after 3-4 tries, the btry is extremely weak, but recovers in about 10 minutes..

I have had some success jumping the Bko, from my tahoe, and the Btyr charger...

When I went to the autoparts store on sunday, it would not start again, so a guy from the service bay got the portable jumper and we hooked it up,, it drained that in about 5 seconds...

I have replaced the positive btry cable, the starter relay cable and the negative btry cable,,(it was time anyway, yes they were corroded, etc...

I had hoped after reading of others successes with this same issue that this would fix the problem,,,no luck,,,

is it the starter?

should I look elsewhere?

any help would be greatly appreciated....

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK,

charged the Btry overnight, same result,

One thing I noticed, is that my voltage meter in the dash, the needle stays in the middle after i shut off the engine, etc...

Sorry, I never noticed this,,,is this normal? or should it drop down just like all the other guages?

Chem

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello all,

I took the starter off and had it tested, it failed the first test, passed the second, but it was noisy as all get out, so i replaced it,

got the new one installed, and nothing,,, it still just clicks away,,, I have even tried using the start on my btry jumper/charger,, nothing,

ok,

now on the stereo, even when the btry charger is hooked up, it will not work,,

so, I am thinking there is a short somewhere that is affecting the stereo and grounding the system,,,

the power light does come on, but that is it,

:whiteflag

any suggestions?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Steve83 said:
Disconnect your battery & charge it fully for at least 3 hours. Then have it load tested.
:stupid did ya try that?

i'd say the battery is toast. i'd bet ya broke a plate and the battery itself is shorting out. if it fails the load test get a new one.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stepchild,

Yes,

I did that, I let it charge over night,,,

The btry was fine,

it turns out the lever on the starter that closes the circuit to engage the starter gear was not fully disengaging, causing a short, grounding the system, it was intermittent, that is why the problem would only occur every so often,

new starter, fired right up,,, no worries,,,

besides the bearings in the starter were going,,, it was the original starter, from the old engine that was put on the crate engine in jan 2004...

after 20 yrs,, i am sure it was way past it's time,,,,

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
good to see ya solved the problem, sorry for me being an ass, i couldn't tell from your post if ya load tested the batt or not.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Chemfrk said:
OK,

charged the Btry overnight, same result,

One thing I noticed, is that my voltage meter in the dash, the needle stays in the middle after i shut off the engine, etc...

Sorry, I never noticed this,,,is this normal? or should it drop down just like all the other guages?

Chem
Yes that is normal. It is a charge meter not a Volt meter. It is supposed to show change or discharge based on the deflection of the needle from center. Basically it is a shunt operated uncalibrated ammeter.

:thumbup

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
hold up . . . vocabulary police-----> "dischange"?
it's a democracy so can we get a ruling on this?
I'd motion to behead you for that verbelage! :goodfinge

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
mashori said:
Begging mercy from the court, pardon my stupid fat fingers :histerica

·
OOPS GIVE A DAMN IS BROKE
8,922 Posts
mashori said:
Seabronc said:
Begging mercy from the court, pardon my stupid fat fingers
well i got good news and bad news for ya on the FSB VOCAB POLICE. the vocab mistake will be excused this time. :histerica how ever all your beer drinking while surfing FSB previes have been REVOKED :histerica :histerica :histerica

1 - 11 of 11 Posts