Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FSB warrior
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question doesnt ultimately revolve around Broncos but I figured a) lots of people have scavenged parts off of vans around here and b) someone else might want to know the answer to this question down the road.

I have a chance to pick up an 86 van with a 6.9L diesel, C6 and a D60 rear. I was wondering could this axle be offset, what years did they do that? (it doesnt look offset) What problems could I be looking at bolting the 6.9L, C6 and D60 into my 89 F-150
They are both leaf sprung, not funky brackets on the axle, both 2wd, Havent looked to see where the oil pan sump is located yet though. Oh and of course it has a sag pump, a normal resivoir one. Gas tanks could be tricky, they are different I am sure.

·
FSB warrior
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I am kinda thinking against it. In the mean time I do have a 68 mustang that needs to be moved 200 miles so if I get it I am gonna make sure it can tow it before I put down the loot. Hopefully I can get it for about 450, then maybe swap the 60 under the truck and sell the van after all is said and done. That still leaves me with no engine in my F-150 though:doh0715:

·
FSB warrior
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya... Took it out for a cruise. thats all you can call it, there is NO power with this thing. I am sure it probably weighs about 7K and it seams the gears are like in the high 2's to low 3's. Also it didnt seam like there was a "3rd" gear (I dont think it shifts into it) as I could only go about 55 and the RPM's sounded kinda high. Thanks for the reply

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,983 Posts
Look up agnems IDI bronco swap. Don't forget ya can add a turbo with the room in a pickup.

I thought the vans were a D61 or somethin funky?

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
826 Posts
For most purposes a diesel needs only one wire (fuel shutoff solenoid) to run. An older diesel like in that '86 doesnt have any electronics.
Some of those vans had a D61, run far away from those, they have highway gears and are very difficult to find parts/regear succesfully due to the offset pinion. My buddy went through that mess on his 454 powered FJ80.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts