Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, about a month ago my buddy and I started to build a long needed bumper for my Bronco. It consists of a 1/4inch plate attached to the frame holding the winch in between the frame rails. braced with 2 3inch angle iron welded along the bottom. Its a Smittybuilt 12k for those who were wondering.

The bumper it self is 1/4inch plate through the center, and 3/16th plate for the top and bottom. My main goal for this bumper was to keep it tight and clean. I hate huge bumpers. Clevis mounts will be coming shortly as well as lights. Along with a rear bumper. This was my first attempt at a bumper and couldn't have done it with out my buddies help. He's starting a fab shop check it out if you'd like, www.thorsonsoffroad.com

anyway, to the PICS!

here is a finished pic, and a link to my photobucket for the build pics, i took alot. http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/supra14mile880/bumper build/

finally added clevis mounts

·
Premium Member
14,612 Posts
One of the first bumpers I've seen that actually looks good on a 80-86. The lines match the boxy shape of the truck. Excellent Fab work. Is this going to be a one off item or do you have plans for production?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Bronconut- build pics are in the photobucket link, about 3 pages worth. Check em out..

badass1ton- Exactly why I didn't buy a production unit, none of them look good in my eyes. They never fit the look of the 80-86. As of now, this is a one off, if enough people decided they like it, It could turn into a production bumper. My fenders are cut a bit in the front so i'd have to find stock fenders to fit a stock bronco, or another truck.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
That's a good looking bumper and rig. Nice work

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Looks good.

You could have saved at least a day of labour buy paying someone to form a 3/16 plate to the shape you wanted then making two quick cuts and two small welds to get the overall shape you now have. Or, if you wanted to maintain the two plate thicknesses, you could have had had the two sizes bent the way you wanted and again cut and bend as needed. It would have saved you a lot of time cutting, welding and grinding. But you sure did do a good job grinding all the welds.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good.

You could have saved at least a day of labour buy paying someone to form a 3/16 plate to the shape you wanted then making two quick cuts and two small welds to get the overall shape you now have. Or, if you wanted to maintain the two plate thicknesses, you could have had had the two sizes bent the way you wanted and again cut and bend as needed. It would have saved you a lot of time cutting, welding and grinding. But you sure did do a good job grinding all the welds.
I get what ya mean, but around here it cost 20 bucks a cut and 15 a bend...I only spent 150 bucks on material for that bumper. The reason for two thicknesses, guy didn't want to break a 20 footer which would have added another 20 bucks just to cut it, so i got 1/4 for the price of 3/16th.

In the long run i got more material then you see there. Cutting? Thats what plasmas cutters are for :rockon. And plus, this was more fun anyway, gotta keep practicing. There are a few hours into this, about 45..of course beer drinking took up at least 1/4 the time.. speaking of :beer

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
What I did for my front bumper was buy a whole 4' x 8' sheet of 3/16 plate, had them cut the sheet to the size needed (about 3 x 8), and gave them a sketch of what the sheet will be formed to. I think I payed about $150 for it and kept the crop. I did a build thread of my front bumper with lots of pics that shows exactly what I did and how I did it. If I hadn't gone and included a tire carrier, a gas can carrier and four lights, it would have taken two to three days from start to finish, including paint.

Here is a link to the build

I did a quick read and it was about 100 more than I thought. If I had only kept the plate I needed, it WOULD have been about $150

·
Registered
124 Posts
looks nice, this is another project i have for this winter, I have been considering tube but after seeing this I am reconsidering

·
Registered
124 Posts
I looked through all the build photos. looks great. Looking at the bumper though you dont have much access to the winch without taking the bumper off. Do you not plan to ever disengage the clutch and free spool out?

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,544 Posts
That looks real nice I like how tight it is. But I agree with the above, I am not sure how you would clear a jammed winch cable, I just do not see a place to stick your hands in and mess with it, maybe it is just the angle of the pictures.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked through all the build photos. looks great. Looking at the bumper though you dont have much access to the winch without taking the bumper off. Do you not plan to ever disengage the clutch and free spool out?

In recovery, speed is never an option in my opinion, take your time be safe and do it right the first time. While it IS a tight fit, i can reach into the bumper between the grill and bumper to access the clutch lever. I could have made it easier by simply making it bigger(never was gonna happen lol) or making a access hole up top. Non the less, i've been out a few times wheeling with it, and never needed the winch..more or less for my buddies that get stuck, which in that case, they can **** with it lol ..

I thank you all again very much for your comments, soon to follow is rocksliders (rocker panel paid the price couple weeks ago) rear bumper, and currently trying to lock down a deal on some 60's :rockon..all in due time!

·
Registered
10 Posts
can i just say, wow to that ridiculous jeep creepy crawler you have there? i want to take it into a parking lot and see how many cars it can drive over. also nice work on the bumper, looks great

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Thanks alot, that jeep is bad ass.. It's the top truck challenge 2007 winner, owned by Matt Thorson of Thorsons Extreme Off Road.. 54inch tires and a 502 big block, cars don't stand a chance lol. Check it out at www.thorsonsoffroad.com . He's currently building a new buggy for top truck champions challenge 2012.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts