Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions: Generally speaking, on a 1986 Bronco is it better to try to find bad circuits and repair them or take the plunge to replace all the wiring in the vehicle? Also, is there a recommended kit to add power windows and locks to a Bronco that doesn't have them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
432 Posts
depends on how much is messed up. there's not alot of electronics on an 86 bronco, been dealing with them myself this last week on my new-to-me 86.

for the windows, you'd have a different chassis wiring harness, or you can just make your own just for them, shouldn't be THAT hard. to make things look stock, you'll need new door panels, switches, all which can be had at JBGY, maybe find a JY truck so you can get the right plugs to go into the switches.

I am not sure if the interior door for manual windows has the same three holes as the power windows, check. If not, go back to that JY bronco with some paper and chalk or something and make a rubbing of the pattern, tape that to your door and drill the three holes.

If you need to know what the interior of the 86 door w/ power windows looks like, let me know, mine is parked outside with the door panels off aleady, I can snap some pictures later.

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jimmy Dean: Pictures would be great! Thank you for the offer and the info.

·
Super Moderator
25,795 Posts
Yo Tua,
I prefer repairing. Do you have any pictures of the bad harness sections?

My better-half gave me a gift in 97 after coming home from a Naval hospital stay, a Directed remote start and Spal pw/pdl installed by an authorized shop.
Still operates flawlessly. Only had one pdl actuator failure, but cost under $10.00 & it was ez to install. The Spal actuators are neat in that they give off a loud CLUNK when locking or opening. I use it to scare off squirrels that like to chew on wiring. Shop soldered and protected with heat shrink

Spal pw switches mounted where electr. 4x4 sw. would be.

Consider this Power Window Automation System by Directed®. It features the capability to start, lock and unlock your vehicle by you simply pushing a button of your compatible smartphone device. This Python Security with Remote Start System transforms an iPhone, Android phone or select BlackBerry phones into a remote starter for your car. more details at our Sponsor - Directed® - Power Window Automation System

Good fortune!

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have pictures at this time, miesk5. I'm actually going to get the Bronco on Friday. Naturally, I expect there to be at least some electrical problems, as it has sat for a while. I'm sure some rodent or another has chewed on something it shouldn't and age has probably gotten to more than one wire in there somewhere. I'm going to test all of the circuits, of course, but wanted to see what the general consensus was on wiring repair vs replacement.

I would like to add power windows and door locks to it when I get to that point. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: miesk5

·
Registered
432 Posts
driver side, those are factory or factory type rivets. I suggest going with some nuts and bolts, I did that on my passenger side you can see below:

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks, Jimmy Dean! Those will come in handy!

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great, thanks!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Many times with vehicles this old - the majority of electrical problems are in part caused by previous owners and so-called mechanics making "modifications" and "repairs".

Get a legit Ford EVTM manual. You can surf Ebay and pick up a reprint for cheap. Find the effected component / circuit, trace it on the manual and start at the power source and keep testing along the line until you find the failure point.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Many times with vehicles this old - the majority of electrical problems are in part caused by previous owners and so-called mechanics making "modifications" and "repairs".
hey, I resemble that remark.

·
Super Moderator
25,795 Posts
Yo Tus,
FYI,
o ELECTRICAL & VACUUM TROUBLESHOOTING MANUAL (partial) by Ford via Gary @ 1986 EVTM - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

1985-1986 Fuel System Adjustments by Ford via Gary
See more info by Gary.

1986 Bronco Operating Guide @ 1983 Ford Bronco Manuals & Pamphlets (Scanned) picture | SuperMotors.net

86 Bronco Dealer Brochure at 1983 Ford Bronco 86 Bronco Brochure Photos pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Here is the 1980-86 Pickup Fasteners by Ford via Gary, but mostly for front clip

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

·
Registered
158 Posts
Worthwhile upgrade to the 80-86 trucks in my opinion is adding an auxiliary fuse panel/ relays to multiple components and modernizing some of the wiring. I had my entire harness apart at one point and the factory wiring held up surprisingly well over the years. I resoldered and fixed some questionable splices while was doing the maf conversion.

I added a power distribution block for the battery, a fuse panel and several relays, 3g alternator. These older trucks are very simple as far as electrical is concerned. Makes it easy to add components and upgrade.

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, people. The wiring in the engine bay is an absolute mess. I've never seen anything quite like it. Do you guys have a wiring harness you recommend? As I said above, we are going to retrofit power windows and door locks to it.

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have all the shop manuals in pdf format on a dvd, including the EVTM. I'm sure they will prove to be quite helpful.

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone know anything about this harness? Fairly expensive, but I haven't found another complete harness yet.

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bueller...Bueller?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts