Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have read a lot of the threads about replacing the hub assembly on the 87-88 top hat style lockouts. But either I overlooked or missed the threads where it mentioned what years and trucks you can pull the parts from.

So.......
Can you use Bronco and/or F150 assemblies for this conversion?
What year Bronco's and F150's work the best?
Is this a direct bolt up project or will it require modification?

If these questions HAVE been answered in other threads please post a link. I searched many of the threads but couldn't find these specific answers.

I have just found two replacement top hats from a FSB member but I want to be on the look out for the replacement parts on Craigslist when I can find them for cheap.

Thanks All!!:beer

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
Basically you can use any F150 of similar year, there are three different spindles, but as long as you get the correct bearings/race setups and it all matches you can use anything from 86-96 AFAIK. You have to replace everything from the knuckle out (including the stub shaft)...but If you do junkyard for the major parts it will save you a good bit compared to new.

KC

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basically you can use any F150 of similar year, there are three different spindles, but as long as you get the correct bearings/race setups and it all matches you can use anything from 86-96 AFAIK. You have to replace everything from the knuckle out (including the stub shaft)...but If you do junkyard for the major parts it will save you a good bit compared to new.

KC
Could you elaborate on this? Sorry but this is all new to me. I will either be looking at some local pick n pulls or craigslist. So I want to be sure to get everything I need.

Thanks!:thumbup

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Could you elaborate on this? Sorry but this is all new to me. I will either be looking at some local pick n pulls or craigslist. So I want to be sure to get everything I need.

Thanks!:thumbup
Just did my wheel bearings and replaced tophat hubs.

Check out my build thread on everything. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194796&page=13 Parts for the bearings are not pricey and its a easy job if you don't have problems on the race like i did. Be real careful with those tophats they are hard to come by.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just did my wheel bearings and replaced tophat hubs.

Check out my build thread on everything. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194796&page=13 Parts for the bearings are not pricey and its a easy job if you don't have problems on the race like i did. Be real careful with those tophats they are hard to come by.
I already replaced my bearings, pads and calipers. I have one working l/o hub and one non working hub. But I have two working ones coming this week. So I am just preparing myself for when they bite the dust. I figure I have a little time to look around and find a steal of a deal on what I need for replacement parts. Just trying to be proactive!:thumbup

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
find one with factory locking hubs and get everthing from the spindles out and the axle shafts. happy hunting top hats are junk,

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
find one with factory locking hubs and get everthing from the spindles out and the axle shafts. happy hunting top hats are junk,
That's what I'm looking to do. I just want to know what years/models to look for. Craigslist has a ton of Ford front axles but I just want to make sure I get what I need!;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
i had the warn top hats on my ranger with the dana 35 swaped into it, i ran 33's hard and never broke a top hat

·
Registered
580 Posts
You are looking for a Bronco or F-150 that has the Dana 44 up front. The year doesnt matter just specify that whenever you are calling around to junk yards. Sounds like you need to get the axle shafts as well. They may be a different length than the tophat shafts. Since the spindles are going to be different it will requir a different bearing. If you get the brake stuff with the spindles and hubs the bearings should be easy to identify b/c the will have numbers on them and the races will too. I cant see how this can be done w/o changing the calipers and rotors to whatever truck you are getting parts from. Wheel bearings are very resiliant unless they are broken. If the ones you are getting from the junkyard arent broke or rusted up then just clean them up really well and re pack them .

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,398 Posts
You may have already seen these links, but they seem to contain some good info on swapping out top hats, so I'll throw them in anyway.

Hubs, Top Hat (87 to Early 88)
13-New Hub install Question Steve83 explains options in post 2.
14-Knuckle out conversion manual locking hubs B-man's Supermotors pics & info on swapping top hats to Warn premiums.
15-88 flange mount hubs Steve83's link to an exploded view in post 14.
From link 13 above. Steve83 shows the parts required for the swap, suggests just changing the complete axle instead, & says that 85-94 parts (Excluding 87-88 top hat axles of course) will work without having to change calipers.
Add your truck's specifics to your profile & take those locks back - you have the special '87-early 88 "flange-style" manual hub locks, which are outrageously expensive to replace & very weak. You need either ~$600 in flange hub locks, or ~$700 in conversion parts & several hours' labor to convert your front end to the "standard" locks, OR you need a good used axle complete with normal locks which can be had for ~$200 & can be installed in a couple of hours in your driveway. If you get an axle that uses the same style calipers as your truck ('85-94), you won't even have to open the brake lines. Note that '87-early 88 with AUTO hubs use normal locks.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great info.! Thanks guys!!:beer

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
I already replaced my bearings, pads and calipers. I have one working l/o hub and one non working hub. But I have two working ones coming this week. So I am just preparing myself for when they bite the dust. I figure I have a little time to look around and find a steal of a deal on what I need for replacement parts. Just trying to be proactive!:thumbup
Yea by the end of this week i should have a extra set of tophats. But your right start looking for something else. I am going to start searching around for a complete front end. 89 or later models. For when i run out of tophats! :banghead

·
Man of endless projects
9,483 Posts
one day i need to replace mine. i got them rigged to stay locked but it doesnt always stay locked. anybody figuer out a way to weld them or something so they will stay permanetly locked?. in the future ill dd a SAS but does anybody know what years Bronco/F150 came with a solid axle and will it bolt right up to my frame?

·
Super Moderator
26,972 Posts
yo,
Fyi and for posterity;
TSB 88-8-17 Warn Hub Locks Inoperative
Date: APRIL 15, 1988
1987-88 F-150, BRONCO
ISSUE: Inoperative front drive axle hublocks on 1987 and 1988 F-150 and Bronco vehicles may be caused by the control dial getting too hot and distorting. The hublock body is made of aluminum which transfers heat rapidly from the brake rotor to the hublock assembly. Under certain braking conditions such as brake dragging or downhill trailer towing control dial distortion may occur. Vehicles operated under these or similar conditions may not experience hublock control dial distortion but may be too hot for customers to engage or disengage the locking hub feature.
To correct this, install a new hublock service kit that will not allow heat transfer to the control dial. Refer to the 1987/88 Light Truck Shop Manual, Volume A, Section 11-12-2 for removal of the existing hublocks. Use the 1986 Light Truck Shop Manual to install the new hublock kit, (E7TZ-1L104-A).
PART NUMBER - PART NAME
E7TZ-1L104-A Hublock Kit - One (1) Required
OPERATION - DESCRIPTION - TIME
880817A - Both hubs - 1.8 Hrs.

TOP HAT hub locks were installed by Ford only in 1987 to early 1988 Broncos and F 150.

Here s that kit that El K showedin Steve83's quote
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco.php/i-32079-1980-92-front-end-rebuild-kit.html
Have to call Dana at Jeff's to correct da year range and description soon.$769.00

This is for your 1980-92 Ford Bronco or F150 with the one piece lockout hub design.
This Kit Includes:
- OEM Dana Spindles (left and right)
- Heavy-Duty Outer Axle Shafts (left and right)
- Mile Marker Supreme (lifetime warranty) Lockout Hubs
- Timken Inner Wheel Bearings (left and right)
- Timken Outer Wheel Bearings (left and right)
- New Hub and Rotor Assembly With Wheel Studs (left and right)
- Dana Spicer U-Joints (left and right)
- OEM Dana/Spicer Spindle Nuts and Washers (left and right)
- Hub Oil Seals (left and right)
- OEM Dana Spicer Ball Joints Upper and Lower (left and right)
- OEM Dana Spicer outer slingers
NOTE:
Ball joints not pictured
*RECOMMEND ALSO REPLACING AXLE PIVOT BUSHINGS!!

87 to Early 88 Flange Style (Top Hat) Hub Knuckle Out Conversion to Warn® 6 Screw Premium Manual hubs Info & pics in an 88
Source: by Eric D (Beast, B-Man) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/4291/30076-2

87 to Early 88 Flange Style (Top Hat) Hubs are different than other Broncos; "...This was another of Ford's better ideas. For 87 and early 88 Ford used a one-piece locking hub assembly. This hub simply sits between the wheel and brake rotor and is held in place by the wheel studs. This type of hub is very easy to remove (simply remove the wheel), but it is different from all other Broncos and therefore parts and replacement hubs are expensive and hard to find. To convert your 87-88 Bronco to the "standard" hubs you'll need to swap all the parts from the spindle out from a Bronco or F-150. It may even be possible to take these parts from any vehicle with a Dana 44 front axle and the same wheel bolt pattern as the Bronco (5 on 5.5"). If you are considering this swap it would be a good time to consider the 8 lug axle swap you've always wanted (see section 10.2)..."
Source: by Matt K at off-road... via web.archive.org http://web.archive.org/web/20010218101810/http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/bbfaq.html
Takes time to LOAD because I retrieved it from WWW Heaven

87 to Early 88 Flange Style (Top Hat) Hub Parts Break-Out Diagram: "...used only on 87-early 88 F150s & Broncos w/manual locks. 87-88 w/auto locks are "normal". These are similar to those used on Bronco IIs & Explorers, but larger (5 on 5.5")..."
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

87 to Early 88 Flange Style (Top Hat) Hub pics; "...Flange-style Hub Locks, a.k.a. Top Hats; Note the LACK of screws around the selector dial. ..."

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

1 - 14 of 14 Posts