Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Eric
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It disappeared. Re-up. I'm still doing these, but they are still on a "per-order" basis because of our other prototyping going on. The only downside is that there will be a little bit of a lead time involved because I'm not keeping stock on-hand to ship immediately. I should have a running stock going again by the beginning of the year, hopefully. Still though, if you want to order one just let me know.

As an interesting note, one of these skids has made its way onto a competition truck that has previously run in the Mexican 1000 and NORRA 1000. The customer won their class in the Mexican 1000. Here's their truck:

Looking forward to seeing where other customers end up taking their skids! If anyone has pics of their wheeling adventures, feel free to share. Thanks guys.

·
Eric
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey again all. I've been receiving a lot of renewed interest about the skid lately and people are interested in the ordering info. I'm re-up'ing this thread to get that info back out there again.

To clarify though, I'm still swamped at my regular job and there is a 2-3 week lead time on the skids now. I can get them out if someone absolutely needs one, but it would be best to wait another month or two. Several of my larger projects are wrapping up in that time frame and I'll be able to re-focus on doing more production runs and getting orders out. I pride myself on shipping orders within 24-48 hours of receiving payment and I'm disappointed that's taken a back-seat for the time being. I thank everyone for their patience and understanding (even if you're sternly flipping off the computer screen while reading this :toothless).

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So this skid plate is for off-road use only, but not meant for hard use? As an engineered product, do you have stress test results or model?

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
"For off road use" due to the catalytic converter modifications required I would imagine. Removing the second cat may cause issues in some more stringent states. This skid looks very well built and and with the additional reinforcement tab I think should hold up just fine for rock crawling. I plan on ordering one once I move this summer and don't live in Alaska anymore

·
Eric
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So this skid plate is for off-road use only, but not meant for hard use? As an engineered product, do you have stress test results or model?
It's not intended for "competition" use or where it will be repeatedly subject to unconventional abuse. It's meant to be a safety feature that is built to function at a "performance" level above and beyond the capability of the factory-equipped skid plate. I have a development thread in the "Fabrication/Tools" area of the forum that has some crude "field testing" demonstrated. There is a link to that thread in post #1 of this thread.

The engineer who ran the load calculations simply verified that the geometric articulations and utilized materials would withstand various tensile and yield loads at specified apply directions and the amount of predicted deflection and point-of-failure of the subject material. I do not have his simulation data as it was run over 1.5 years ago.

"For off road use" due to the catalytic converter modifications required I would imagine. Removing the second cat may cause issues in some more stringent states. This skid looks very well built and and with the additional reinforcement tab I think should hold up just fine for rock crawling. I plan on ordering one once I move this summer and don't live in Alaska anymore
First, thank you for the compliments.

Secondly, removing the secondary CAT will fail visual inspections if your vehicle is subject to such. "For off-road use only" is a fairly standard disclaimer as made by many aftermarket manufacturers. Subject to user discretion, of course. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
Looks like a great piece! I currently live in Alaska but will be moving back to NJ this summer, I plan on ordering one when im back in the lower 48

·
Registered
110 Posts
Has anyone had any luck installing this on an 85 with a the transfer case hooked up to a ZF-5S42 transmission? if so, how much modification are we talking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is this still available to order? I need one of these really bad!

Quantity on-hand and ready-to-ship (I will try to keep this updated as accurately as possible):

With mounting holes: Please see below.*

Without mounting holes: Please see below.*

*Orders currently being taken/fabricated on an individual basis with no stock on hand. Please expect a 2-3 week lead time as I am exhausting most of my efforts tying up existing projects with other aspects of my work. If I am unable to meet your requested production deadline, I WILL NOT take your money or accept a "pre-payment". That is not how I do business and would be doing a disservice to you, as a respected customer, if it was. Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
24,696 Posts

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,810 Posts
Unfortunately, no. The skid body articulates upwards to provide significant ground clearance over the factory skid. In fact, clearing the secondary CAT is one of the reasons the factory skid hangs so low.

The BXF skid would have to be heavily modified to clear the CAT.
So in order to use your skid plate, at least one cat-converter must be eliminated?

·
Eric
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Is this still available to order? I need one of these really bad!
Unfortunately, they are not, at the moment. I was attempting to gear up again over the past few months, but the beer plague has affected some of the companies I was in contact with for equipment. Sub-contracting out the work would skyrocket the price, so that's not really an option. I have all my CAD files saved and ready-to-go, but sourcing plasma table and brake operations are what I'm trying to work around right now. As soon as they are available again, this forum will be the first place they are listed for sale. I apologize for the delay.

So in order to use your skid plate, at least one cat-converter must be eliminated?
Yes. Avoiding the secondary CAT is why the factory skid plate hangs so low across the entire frame span to begin with. By eliminating the secondary CAT, the skid I designed articulates upwards, following the profile of the T-case, and affords a minimal ground-clearance footprint. There should be pictures of customers' installation examples in either this thread, the "vendor reviews" thread, or the build thread that is linked in the first post of this thread. This skid is not to be confused with a factory replacement, by any means. It was designed and intended for "off-highway" use. For those that still need to pass emissions, but may not necessarily be restricted by a "visual" inspection, there are modern, single unit, 3-way CATS that are much more efficient than both the original factory CATS combined. I have had customers that run one of those, eliminating both factory CATS, and pass emissions without issue. Again, use and application are at the end-user's discretion. I hope this answered your question.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1994 Ford Bronco XL 5.0L
1,810 Posts
1) Unfortunately, they are not, at the moment. I was attempting to gear up again over the past few months, but the beer plague has affected some of the companies I was in contact with for equipment. Sub-contracting out the work would skyrocket the price, so that's not really an option. I have all my CAD files saved and ready-to-go, but sourcing plasma table and brake operations are what I'm trying to work around right now. As soon as they are available again, this forum will be the first place they are listed for sale. I apologize for the delay.

2) Yes. Avoiding the secondary CAT is why the factory skid plate hangs so low across the entire frame span to begin with. By eliminating the secondary CAT, the skid I designed articulates upwards, following the profile of the T-case, and affords a minimal ground-clearance footprint. There should be pictures of customers' installation examples in either this thread, the "vendor reviews" thread, or the build thread that is linked in the first post of this thread. This skid is not to be confused with a factory replacement, by any means. It was designed and intended for "off-highway" use. For those that still need to pass emissions, but may not necessarily be restricted by a "visual" inspection, there are modern, single unit, 3-way CATS that are much more efficient than both the original factory CATS combined. I have had customers that run one of those, eliminating both factory CATS, and pass emissions without issue. Again, use and application are at the end-user's discretion. I hope this answered your question.
1) I look forward to procuring one. 😎

2) I need to shitcan my 250,000+ mile factory exhaust anyway. 😉

21 - 33 of 33 Posts