Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Something Spiffy
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys, it finally happend. i took my bronc swimming and now i have what sounds like is a dying bearing comeing from the drivers front wheel. I have not done any front hub maintnence since i have owned it and i am figuring that the spindle is fried along with the bearings. Does my truck have the same spindles as the 80-86 or the 88-91? they have a spindle for 87, but thats ment for the Manual hub setup thats one complete hub right? my bronc is a 87 and i did also just buy a set of manual hubs to salp on while im at it. I plan on visiting a wrechin yard soon, i just want to find out what year range i have to begin with. I want to just say that 80- up will work but i dont know. any ideas?

·
Registered
506 Posts
jeez. can 'o worms here. 87s and 88s have totally unique front end parts. Their hubs, axleshafts, spindles are different than the rest. I have never personally looked at an auto hub unit in 87, but I would assume it is similar. If you can post a pic of your front hub I can tell you exactly what you need.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
yea they are weird...on my moms 87 the hubs are held on by the rims and when you pull the rim off all the different gears or whatever you want to call them are there....also not all 88's had that style later ones were changed to the 89 - up style..

·
Registered
69 Bronco crawler, 85 Bronco dormant baja build, 93 Bronco cruiser, 05 F150 supercharged 5.4 tow rig
359 Posts
I rarely find a spindle that is not discolored around the bearing area. Can you feel a groove where the discolored area meets the shiny unused part of the spindle? If so, they probably need to be replaced, though I have one with a slight groove right now and it's working for me. What you might consider is swapping knuckle-out so that you can use a broader range of parts. I did this on my driver side to get rid of the ABS knuckle so that I can run the older style 6-stud spindle. Just a thought, if you can get the parts cheap from somebody... :imp

·
Banned
21,043 Posts
Those spindles look perfectly normal. The noise was coming from the bearings - do they have pits in the rollers?

'87-early '88 auto hub locks use the same parts as all other years, so you're set. It was only the manual locks that were 8up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts