Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a stalling problem with my bronco and believe that its the pip in the distributor so im going to change it out. Im going to get a remanufactured distributor from napa but I don't know whether I need a cast or steel gear. Would anyone possibly have a part number for the distributor I need? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I am having a stalling problem with my bronco and believe that its the pip in the distributor so im going to change it out. Im going to get a remanufactured distributor from napa but I don't know whether I need a cast or steel gear. Would anyone possibly have a part number for the distributor I need? Any help would be appreciated.
I believe Iron Gear for a Non-Roller Cam and a Steel Gear for a Roller Cam.

A better question might be what TFI will I be using?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't the "new" distributor have the tfi on it? Ive read that there were 2 different ones. Mine isn't black.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I would bet that your 1987 5.0L Bronco has a 6-pin Distributor Mounted Gray "Push Start" TFI Module, Hydraulic Flat Tappet and Iron Distributor Gear. Additionally, the block is probably "roller ready" as well, as the 5.0L became "roller ready" in 1987 and the 5.8L in 1994.

In the late '80s Ford began to relocate the TFI away from the distributor on some vehicles to provide better protection from the effects of engine heat, but not on the Bronco until later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts