Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my 87 bronco only likes to start when its not been driven for a couple hours. if i let it sit over night and go out in the morning, it'll start right up over and over until it's hot. after i drive it anywhere and the motor is nice and hot, it won't start again after i shut it off. it sounds like it's a dead battery which doesn't make sense because the gauge reads about 12-14V. i've already replaced the battery, alternator, voltage regulator, solenoid and the battery cables. any ideas???

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have you tested the starter? My '87 was doing pretty much the same thing. After reading and testing, I got to the starter. I drove it till it warmed up and wouldn't start. I took the starter off after letting it cool down just enough that I could get to it. I then took it to the parts store for a test. It tested fine for the first test, so I had them do it again. Second test was good also. On the third test it started smoking. Got a new starter, put it in, and haven't had that trouble again.

A caveat (is that the right word?): don't rush out and change your starter just because that was my issue. Test it first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Choosy bronco

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think the starter would be an issue mainly because it starts just fine when it's cold. But I'm will go try anything so thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
a little more info is needed.

won't start means? won't crank over? Slow to crank over? Cranks over fast but does not light up?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 96 and on when it's cold it struggles with a slow crank, but consistently turns over. However, I have the same problem. When I drive it for a while and the motor is hot, I get nothing when I turn the key. Battery is fine, alternator is charging. Thoughts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
so my 87 bronco only likes to start when its not been driven for a couple hours. if i let it sit over night and go out in the morning, it'll start right up over and over until it's hot. after i drive it anywhere and the motor is nice and hot, it won't start again after i shut it off. it sounds like it's a dead battery which doesn't make sense because the gauge reads about 12-14V. i've already replaced the battery, alternator, voltage regulator, solenoid and the battery cables. any ideas???
Im not sure if your 87 was part of the recall but my 95 had a recall for the starter ground wire. I cant remember the details exactly but essentially the connector for the ground wire was sub par and it would cause the starter not to engage. I didn't know about the recall so before I fixed it I would crawl under the vehicle and smash the starter with a hammer until it would finally engage :histerica Obviously this wasn't a fix but as a new bronco owner I didnt know what to do at that time. After I heard about the recall I again went under the vehicle and crimped a new connector for the ground wire and haven't had an issue since! Apparently my banging it with a hammer hasn't impacted the performance of the starter :goodfinge

I have a 96 and on when it's cold it struggles with a slow crank, but consistently turns over. However, I have the same problem. When I drive it for a while and the motor is hot, I get nothing when I turn the key. Battery is fine, alternator is charging. Thoughts?
Sounds a lot like OP's question. Try doing what others and myself have suggested before asking. :twak

·
Registered
217 Posts
Do you have a heat shield on the starter? mine suffered from heat soak that made it seem like the battery was dying after I stopped for gas. I put an aftermarket soft heat shield on the starter and it's fine now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts