Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just got a 87 Bronco XLT with the 5.8L.
1. My rear window wont go down and it doesn't make any sounds or anything when i hit the button.
2. My passenger window goes down but won't go back up.
3. When I hit the power door lock button only the passenger side works the passenger side doesn't. :banghead
4. My dome lights don't work either (probally a burnout bulb)

Any help would be apreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well the rear window is a common bronco problem possibly the motor is bad if you can't get it to move at all. I had a similar problem on mine but I found the safety switch on the tailgate wouldn't allow the motor to get any voltage so I bypassed it. The motor ONLY needs 12 volts to operate so if you can remove the plug and you have a battery charge just hook up the leads to the two pins on the motor and see if it moves. If the motor does in fact move you will need a full wiring schematic to track down a possible wiring problem.

Now as for the other items I really suggest a good DVM and that wiring schematic. It works wonders for somebody that understands how to use it.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
rbaney said:
Now as for the other items I really suggest a good DVM and that wiring schematic. It works wonders for somebody that understands how to use it.
The AirForce paid about half a mil to teach me to use colored pencils to trace wiring diagrams... it works very well.

As for the window, if you jump it and it makes noise but seams to be going down, reverse your leads and it will go the other way.

the safety switch is the biggest problem, then next would be the gears in the motor turning into 100 peices.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Door locks...not a clue..:shrug

Pass. window and rear window...if it ends up being a motor the same motor will work for both..(not the drivers side, but a passenger motor will work in the rear in case you have trouble finding a new one):thumbup

Int. lighting...get a int. light out of a '97 up superduty, or a GT mustang direct swap, much nicer look, lots more light...(do a search on this one, you'll see) :beer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got the access panel off and I don't know what I'm looking at :confused: where do I hook the 12V up to? No it doesn't work with the key either.
Thanks for all your help so far

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
There should be a two-wire connector near the middle bottom of the tailgate. That's what you're going to try to put power to.

The most common failure points in the tailgate are either the motor, the safety switch, the dash switch, the key switch, and the wires where they bend to enter the tailgate from the quarter panel.

If *either* the key switch or the dash switch is bad, the tailgate probably won't work at all. Sometimes one bad switch will cause the gate to go up but not down or vice versa. The motor gets its ground from one switch and the +12V through the other.... so if either one is bad, it won't go.

On the door locks, the actuator is probably worn out. The pass door window could be a couple of things... you can try the same 12V trick with it. Pull the panel off and jumper the connector (it'll be inside the door, sort of straight down from the speaker).

Dome light is probably a bad bulb.

·
Registered
77 Posts
87BroncoMan.

Find the motor and then find the wiring shouldn't be to hard then the first connectro from the motor is the one you need to hook up to the 12v. If you need a wiring schematic let me know and I'll see what I can do for ya. Here is wiring diagram for ya its alittle big.

http://www.superford.org/members/content.php?id=4014&sID=15003

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got the rear window working. Now I just got to get it running right :mad:and I would be happy with it till Summer.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
you should tell us what was wrong with it, helps figure in the percentage of what problems people have with tailgates..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the plug in the tailgate that I hooked the 12V up to was bad or something:shrug. Checked it with a meter and there was 12V at the plug. Then hook a battery to the other part of it and the window would work. But when I plugged them together it wouldn't work:banghead. So I just cut out the plug and wired it together:thumbup. My key doesn't work in the tailgate only the switch on the dash works but that doesn't really bother me.:thumbup

·
Registered
51 Posts
87BroncoMan said:
Hi I just got a 87 Bronco XLT with the 5.8L.

2. My passenger window goes down but won't go back up.
Any help would be apreciated
Thanks
So I have the same problem with my passanger window.... I replaced the motor thinking it was the prob and I was wrong. Turns out when I replaced the window myself a few years back I didn't get the alignment right.... It rolls down fine thanks to gravity but going up is a slow process....

Assuming your motor is ok.... Your job: Check to see if the window is aligned.... As you roll it down, do you find that one side is catching or dragging? How about when you roll it up??? What this will require is that you remove the window and channel and then move the channel so that the window goes up and down straight..... You might want to stop by a auto glass shop and pick up some new flat rubber that holds the glass in the channel....

This problem is due to one of two things..... The window has shifted during it's lifetime or if it has been replaced someone just goofed on the alignment.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts