Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Bronco in CA and a new AOD dominator trans with wide ratio I have new 4.56 gears with lockers and good long travel suspension and want to upgrade my 302 efi. I am leaning hard on a 347 stroker with afr carb approved heads and new exhaust. I have conflicting opinions from builders about speed density some say it will work with the stock cam profile required in CA while others say MAF conversion and a computer and intake (i think aftermarket computer) Some say I can pass smog as long as it looks stock and has carb sticks for aftermarket parts as long as I don't get a real anal visual inspector. Can anybody give advice on setups that have worked here in CA I know I will be looking at more torque than HP gains with stock cam thats not a bad thing in a bronco.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update saw a ad in my summit mag and motorvation builds custom chips that work with speed density Has anybody used them? Hope somebody can help

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not entirely sure on the Carbed Bronco's but I recently finnished my 347 build in my '89 FSB. I used ported E7TE heads with a stock ported intake and the roller cam from a 5.0 HO with all the roller parts and it passed smog on a stock tune in the EEC. I have since swapped to a Mustang EEC and MAF so it is now MPI fired rather than bank fired. Not only does it run cleaner and picked up a tiny bit of power but my MPG has jumped a lot. With 33" tires and AOD I am getting 18MPG ot the long freeway runs at 70MPH

Maybe think about a EFI upgrade

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
tiny?

you only got a tiny bit of power? I am looking for more than that I hope. I plan on 347 block AFR heads, new headers, cats, and pipe, bigger injectors and maybe a larger TB. The cam will be near stock but I am told that will give me more torqe vs hp. My bronco is EFI already.

·
Registered
35 Posts
you only got a tiny bit of power? I am looking for more than that I hope. I plan on 347 block AFR heads, new headers, cats, and pipe, bigger injectors and maybe a larger TB. The cam will be near stock but I am told that will give me more torqe vs hp. My bronco is EFI already.
I meant the MAF conversion only gave me a small bump. Before MAF and Mustang EEC I dyno'd 328HP and 342FTLBS to the ground on a dynojet dyno. Now remember that is with an AOD and 33x12.5 tires! For a 347 with ported stock heads and intake and a 5.0HO cam I thought it was nice. After the conversion to MAF and Mustang EEC it was 361HP and 363FTLBS so I gained 33HP and 21FTLBS at peak.... The curves are very similar with a bit more gain in the mid range

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are good numbers with those heads. If I get a custom chip I should be able to keep my computer? Does mass air mostly tune itself better (good for change in altitude too) if so the right tune with speed density should work well within parameters? Did you port your stock intake and how much and how $much$ did you change your throttle body? The other thing about mass air is upgrades you may make tune in to your ecm where a chip would need replacement? How does it feel driving compared to stock?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts