Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
user title
2,211 Posts
They are pretty slow. But not too bad if the price is right.

:beer
Bill

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
They are not that slow, unless your going to do alot of towing. But compared to a new diesel they are slow as molasses. A turbo kit is easy to install, somewhat cheap, and really makes them run

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I figured.......I plan on it being my hauler so I'll need something that will atleast run 80 down the interstate

I think I'll just keep on looking for a newer truck

when I do buy one it'll probly be like an 03 powerstroke or something around in there. I'd like to have a 6.0 but I'm kind of afraid of some of the problems they've been having with them

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Unless it has overdrove, it won't do 80. I had an '89 F350 with the 7.3 and C6 and it was done at 75 MPH with the engine at redline. Best thing I ever did was put a turbo on it and a 5 speed overdrive. It ran comparable to a 97 powerstroke then, and could do 90 MPH no problem at all. After about 1 year with it like that, I sent the pump to Hypermax where they tweeked it and sent it back guaraunteing 330 horsepower. I believe it too. Made that old 7.3 run better than my 6.0 does now. Only problems was the EGT would really heat up with a load on steep hills if I was in a high gear. Problem solved by dropping a gear after 3 or 4 miles though. It also made it somke a lot, really bad. Any time you would get on the gas it was nothing but black in the passenger side mirror.

·
Well Done Man!
1,621 Posts
MikE2 said:
Unless it has overdrove, it won't do 80. I had an '89 F350 with the 7.3 and C6 and it was done at 75 MPH with the engine at redline. Best thing I ever did was put a turbo on it and a 5 speed overdrive. It ran comparable to a 97 powerstroke then, and could do 90 MPH no problem at all. After about 1 year with it like that, I sent the pump to Hypermax where they tweeked it and sent it back guaraunteing 330 horsepower. I believe it too. Made that old 7.3 run better than my 6.0 does now. Only problems was the EGT would really heat up with a load on steep hills if I was in a high gear. Problem solved by dropping a gear after 3 or 4 miles though. It also made it somke a lot, really bad. Any time you would get on the gas it was nothing but black in the passenger side mirror.
My friend just got an 85 7.3 with a NP435.
SOOOOOOOooooooooo much fun to put it 4th gear, floor it then down shift and smoke out the entire city.
Mechinal injection pumps rule.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
welndmn said:
My friend just got an 85 7.3 with a NP435.
SOOOOOOOooooooooo much fun to put it 4th gear, floor it then down shift and smoke out the entire city.
Mechinal injection pumps rule.
my 93 IDI turbo 5 speed should do this, but it wont smoke a beep.
it even has the bigger pump.
i have nt ****ed with the timing, i just ibalded where th epump was o nthe old motor, but i think the rotary pump on its kinda weak, and i dont wanna invest the $$ to buy a pump for it, as on this truck you gotta pull the turbo to get the pump out, which is a PITA compared to a NA 7.3L
its nice, as you just pull lines out attached on the pump lieka big spider.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
This one ain't that slow at all, as it's been turbocharged by Gale Banks. If'n y'all clicks on the photo y'all kin see the Banks fener emblems. the owner LUVS hiz truck !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Dustin said:
The biggest turds in the world!!!
Yeah compared to the diesels today. But back in there day the 7.3 was the most powerful diesel untill Dodge offered the turboed Cummins. The 6.2 Chevy idles much stronger then the 7.3 does, but the 7.3 at least had a decent upper end. The 6.2 Chevy has none.
There really not that bad as far as power goes, just don't expect them to keep up with anything made in the 90's or later. The biggest place where you will see they don't have much power is towing in the mountains. Towing on the flat highway there fine. Driving solo there fine.
And best of all the 7.3 is so easy to tune up. Call up Hypermax, they specialized in these engines in their day. Also look at ATS turbo. They build a better kit than Banks does anyways

·
FSM Lifetime
4,611 Posts
centurion pictured above isnt an 86, or has been re-badged and modified. Are you the owner? Know how to get in touch with them? I'd like to know more about that truck.

To the gentleman in Nebraska: The diesel will be slow, but it is one of the longer lasting diesel engines. Have a number for the dealership where it is being sold? (kinda looking for a third four door bronco, and I will be in Nebraska this next week)

Audra
www.fourdoorbronco.com

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Dustin said:
The biggest turds in the world!!!
you obviously havent been driving any 6.2L, 6.5L non turbos, or turboed 6.5L;s then.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Audra said:
centurion pictured above isnt an 86, or has been re-badged and modified. Are you the owner? Know how to get in touch with them? I'd like to know more about that truck.

To the gentleman in Nebraska: The diesel will be slow, but it is one of the longer lasting diesel engines. Have a number for the dealership where it is being sold? (kinda looking for a third four door bronco, and I will be in Nebraska this next week)

Audra
www.fourdoorbronco.com
I ain't the owner Audra

but I talked at length with the current owner. He's a farmer who runs a seed outlet in Jasper Ontario, Canada near Smith Falls (the home town of Ian from Extreme 4X4). That's 45 minutes North of Ogdensburg NewYork.

It's a former US truck that the previous owners spent WAY too much money on. According to the owner it's got power to spare thanks to the Gale Banks turbo system.

Luckily for him he was able to license it as a one ton F-350 for personal use, meaning he's completely emissions exempt up here.

Pretty good shape body-wise and the interior looked near mint. The only rust to speak of was the lower skin on the driver's rear door.

With the price of diesel up here I wouldn't be surprised if you could talk him out of it as he had a $h!tload of other vehicles in his yard.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Buck The Bronco said:
Thats what I figured.......I plan on it being my hauler so I'll need something that will atleast run 80 down the interstate

I think I'll just keep on looking for a newer truck

when I do buy one it'll probly be like an 03 powerstroke or something around in there. I'd like to have a 6.0 but I'm kind of afraid of some of the problems they've been having with them
Look at the anything else fourm, under "ford going to the crapper" and you'll see what I think about the new fords...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
We have a non turbo 7.3 tow truck and it can hold it's own. I actual like driving this truck. I prefer to use this truck when scrapping cars either at the shop or at the junkyard. Of course the new turbo 7.3 trucks have great power but how fast does one really need to go when towing.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
BurnedB said:
you obviously havent been driving any 6.2L, 6.5L non turbos, or turboed 6.5L;s then.
shoot me if I have to:goodfinge

MikE2 said:
Yeah compared to the diesels today. But back in there day the 7.3 was the most powerful diesel untill Dodge offered the turboed Cummins. The 6.2 Chevy idles much stronger then the 7.3 does, but the 7.3 at least had a decent upper end. The 6.2 Chevy has none.
There really not that bad as far as power goes, just don't expect them to keep up with anything made in the 90's or later. The biggest place where you will see they don't have much power is towing in the mountains. Towing on the flat highway there fine. Driving solo there fine.
And best of all the 7.3 is so easy to tune up. Call up Hypermax, they specialized in these engines in their day. Also look at ATS turbo. They build a better kit than Banks does anyways
yeah but why waste time putting money into polishing a turd? your still not going to make it keep up with a newer 7.3 PSD. even if you get it sorta close with the money you dumped into it you could have bought a PSD and been better off. back int he day yeah they may have been the shit but there are so many other options today! I woudlnt waste my money but thats just my opnion....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts