Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 88 Bronco 5.0 manual 5 speed is kick my [email protected]@ again . I have a strange bearing type noise .I does it in every gear except first or if I let off the gas(load)

I had a transmission shop tell me it was the tranny so I had it rebuilt and 1500 later I still have the same noise . Now hes telling me its the front diff.

We discovered on a road test that if I put it in 4wd the noise goes away except when turning then it makes the noise for a few secs and stops .

The part that is very confusing to me is that it NEVER does it in first gear . I would think If it was the diff it would do it in every gear
Anyone have any ideas whats going on ??

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks for the reply steve,
Do you really think this could be a vacuum leak ? Im not saying its not but it sure sounds like a bearing also it runs perfectly ,no misses or stumbles .The issue with first gear not having any noises is truly baffeling to me

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I can certainly do that but It only makes the noise under load . Perhaps I will still hear something .

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went back to the tranny shop today . We put it up on the lift and it turns out its the transfer case . He wants to think about how to handle this and told me to call tmo .

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
They are going to call you and tell ya the TCase is going to cost $1200

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called a different shop and was quoted 650 to install a rebuilt . May not go back to the one who mis diagnosed it . Maybe take him to small claims

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Original shop said it would normally be 1200 but considering the screw up they would rebuild it for 500. So I need to decide ,either have a (pre) rebuilt t case installed by a new shop for 650 or trust the original guy to rebuild it for 500 , Im leaning twords paying the extra 150 .
What do you guys think ,let the original shop do the rebuild or have an already rebuilt one installed (6mo gte) .

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
I wouldn't pay anyone to do it. I'd go to the junkyard and swap that bitch in. They really aren't that hard to replace. Any bronco from 88 and up should have a tcase that works. Just make sure you get one with the same output (yoke vs flange).

I don't believe the linkages were any different from auto trans to manual.

Or, just rebuild it yourself. Shadofax made a fantastic write-up on rebuilding his. They are super simple cases. The noise is probably the pump stay arm, they break through the case rib and spin. causing a ton of noise.

I'd take that fawker to small claims court.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I would ask him what $500 covers? I mean they f'd up. They should eat the cost of the tcase. But then they may half ass the repair anyways to get you out the door and quiet.

either way your f'd

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice guys . I found a used one for 250 and may take a chance on it not having issues .

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank God I had the opportunity to have the noise checked at another transmission shop today . It turns out the noise is not the transfer case its the rear diff . The new shop is looking for a used one and will call me . Not happy

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I would seek small claims court.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The old "we f'd up but we'll fix our f up if you pay us just a little bit more instead of full price". Love that one.

I stay away from shops for everything but alignments and tire mounting.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The shop owner called and said he couildnt locate a rear end so if I want it fixed its a big dollar rebuild . I explaind to him that although theres play in the rear I dont understand how the noise disappears when in 4wd . He agreed and said perhaps his mechanic was wrong and it is the transfer case . Hes going to personally road test it for me this week.

Ive got about 7000 invested so far .Way more than I wanted to spend for a toy . Should I sell ?? The engine runs perfectly .What should I do

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Fix it then sell it if you want. No one is going to give you close to what you have in it ESPECIALLY since it still makes the damn noise!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So that you'd be out all that money AND have no toy? :shrug Does that really make sense to you? :scratchhe If you want your money back, you're gonna have to DRIVE it out of the truck. :thumbup
Thats what I was thinking .So the question is this .Do I fix it or do I drive it the way it is until it dies

By the way Im leaning twords the t case being the problem ,although there is quite a bit of play in the rear end . The reason Im thinking t case is that the noise never occurs in first gear and when I put it in 4wd high the noise goes away unless you turn a corner and then happens for 10-15 secs or so . I think if it was the rear it would always do it .

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Pull the T case and open it up. Then do the mild rebuild which Shadowfax has covered , its in the Tech write up section. Do you have the 9 inch rear or 8.8?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im not sure which one I have . Couldnt find the one by shadowfax but found several others . Do you by any chance have the link?
By the way Ive been meaning to mention that my t case will go into 4wd low but wont notch over to stay in place .So theres something going on with the linkeage also

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now you're suggesting that you might intentionally destroy something you know has a problem. Again - are you serious? Do you really think THAT would get you a good return on your investment?
Theyre tellin me the rearend will run 1200 to 1500 to rebuild and the t case is 600 for a rebuilt which Ill install myself . So Im hesitant to spend another 2000 Which will put me at 9000 .Ouch

1 - 20 of 36 Posts