Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive gone through everything on the motor and its running like a champ. Im still getting used to the transition from My rx-7 to the FSB, its like a whole nother world lol.

I was making some junkyard runs for some interior parts/seatbelts for my bronco. Seeing how if i crash right now Im a dead man. went up some mountain paths in cali on a 90 degree weather day.

My temps ran up to about 200 at the highest. But usually sits about 160-180. Kinda scared me a bit. What are some good operating temps say underload . Or at what temps should i be worried?? 55 mph climbin the mountain roads was long and tedious but that seemed to be all i could muster outta the 302.

Any suggestions on what i can do for better cooling. Any info helps. Thanks guys~!

P.S. Anyone know where to buy some after market factory typ'ish seatbelts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cooling Issues

Have you checked your fan clutch, is your fan shroud in place. Also check thermostat and hoses. Make sure you have the proper amount of coolant and possibly flush your cooling system:thumbup

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you are moving and the engine still reaches a higher temp than you are comfortable with, then you have either a circulation problem, or the heat exchanger (radiator) is not adequate.
Now, 200 degrees is not all that bad, I usually run my vehicles in the 200 to 210 range as a norm, but they all stay right there, and seldom get over that.
In order to maintain a lower temp, you will require more water volume. This will require a larger radiator.
Find one from a 351, and this should be more than adequate for your needs.
If your vehicle stays cool at low speeds, then your fan clutch is probably working well.

What part of cali are you from? I might have some parts that you might need. Seat belts, 351 radiator, etc. at my shop if you are interetsted, PM me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rancho cucamonga cali. The temps stays fine around town and while driving but when the motors having to work say climbing up the mountain hillz is when it starts to rise but it would not go above 200 it stayed there.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
X2 for cooling system "backflush" AND I'd service the transmission with a new filter/gasket kit and fluid if you haven't done it in a while, I just did mine a few weeks ago, only cost me around $25.00 total from O'Reillys.

A bigger tranny cooler always helps too!

Make sure the "temp guage sending unit" located in the lower intake manifold towards the front is working properly, check the wire lead on it for voltage level incase it gives a false reading, just a thought.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a mechanical temp guage now, so it plops right into the spot of the sending unit it all works fine and dandy. I flushed everything when i had the motor torn apart lol so kinda looking for the outer motor stuff. :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dunno if my radiator is stock or not but its got an aluminum center peice with black sides. Ive never seen something like that stock, but thought it was sweet that it had the aluminum lol

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
I have the original metal radiator with metal tanks on each side that I'll get repaired one of these days but currently I have an aluminum with plastic tanks, it's been in there for a while but works just fine.

I'd still consider servicing the tranny if you haven't done it in a while..

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts