Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi my name is Joel and I’m a Bronco addict. Lol.
Ive got an 88 Bronco which I just bought for $700. Currently I’m replacing the front wheel bearings. My horse came with flanged manual hubs. In cleaning everything up to install the new bearings and seals I noticed that my seals sit really loose in the back of the rotor. They measure 3.50” in diameter (National Seal #710091). The race where the seal goes measures 3.70”. The race shows absolutely no signs of wear. The brakes were new as well when I began to tear them down. I’ve looked everywhere to find out how to ID these rotors. Bronco had a break in engineering in May of 1988. My mfg date on the VIN tag says 9/87. I think I have a “mut” horse. Lol. Can anyone offer data that will help me ID the spindles and rotors? This is all info for the passenger side so far. I haven’t torn down the driver side yet but it had little play. The PS had about 1/8” - 1/4” play in the wheel when I tore it down. I expected to see shredded bearings and metal shavings everywhere. After cleaning all the parts... every part looks new and no signs of wear. Yeah I hate it when that happens too. Lol. Anyways.... any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Btw.... thanks for all the great topics and advice. These forums have really helped me take my horse from a corn field abandoned Bronco to a great fun project and stress reliever. Thanks again!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,367 Posts
I cant really help as I have no experience with those rotors. Those came on 87s and half of the 88s. They are called Top Hat Hubs by most people.

Reactions: Want2BS8ed

·
Super Moderator
29,131 Posts
Yo Joel,
Welcome!
I'll move this thread to Noobie section for better visibility.

87-88 spindle on the left. Upgraded 90' spindle on the right.
by Eric D (Beast, B-Man)
Eric trashed the flange hubs, etc to go to a 90 design @ 1988 Ford Bronco Knuckle out conversion manual locking hubs pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Dana 44 Knuckle Differences through the Years; "...80-85 Knuckles have bolt on calipers and 6 bolts holding the spindle to knuckle. I consider these strongest. 1993 Knuckles have tension pin style calipers and 5 bolts holding the spindle to knuckle. 87-92 Knuckles have tension pin style calipers and 6 bolts holding the spindle to knuckle. 94-96 Knuckles have two bolt style calipers and 6 bolts holding the spindle to knuckle. Also have ABS provision..."
Includes;
"Rotors
Type 1: 80-93 but NOT 1987
Type 2: 1987...
Type 3: 94-96"&
"80-92 Spindles are six bolt and the same except for 87 with "top hat"...
Source: by philofab

"80-92 Spindles are six bolt and the same except for 87 with "top hat" by Steve

Will post more info when my internet speeds up to at least 1992 levels.

Here's the 1988 Ford Bronco & Truck Service Manuals by Larry J via Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1988 Ford Truck Service Manuals (Thank you Larry Jorgensen) - Google Drive

1988 Bronco Dealer Brochure @ https://www.broncocorral.com/resources/1988_ford_bronco_brochure.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To Upload Images To Posts, How to Use Search and more tips!

➡ See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc.

Find time to Participate and VOTE in our current Full-Size of the Month (soon to change to Quarter) Contest and later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to the winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine with a year's subscription once the article is submitted. And a years worth of premium FSB membership.
Al

·
Premium Member
93 XLT 347, GT40 Heads, Bassani headers/exhaust, E4OD
1,767 Posts
The information from @BigBlue 94 and @miesk5 has you covered (and I have no direct experience with the top hat spindles either), but this may help...

The TTB front ends were built by Dana/Spicer for Ford. What parts you need aren't so much dictated by the year of your Bronco, but the "Bill of Materials" or BOM number Dana used to identify the front end assembly used on your truck. Not sure where you'll find it on an '88 (tag on front differential bolt, stamped to the right of the differential on the drivers side axle, or a label in the rear of the passenger side axle - it apparently varied over the years and say on my '93 it's a label on the passenger side).

Once armed with the BOM number, this catalog becomes a treasure trove of information and will identify the exact Dana part number for the seal you need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts