Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys I'm new to these forums.

a guy i know contacted me today to see if i knew anyone who wanted a bronco. i've always loved broncos so i started getting some info; 88, auto, bit of rust, runs, $300. apparently his father in law just wants to get rid of it. so i had some questions:

1. were the 88s carbs or fuel injection? propane is really cheap here and it is easier and cheaper to get a propane kit for a carburetor. (please don't discuss the cost/benefit of propane, i've been though it before ;))

2. how hard would it be to convert it to a stick?

3. is there anything that i should look out for?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I can answer some of your questions.

1. The '88 are EFI. They sell kits to convert back to carb engine, however if (by some chance because I don't think you should) have a E4OD transmission, then the computer works both the EFI and the trans, and it could get really complicated. However, more than likely you have the AOD, which means you could, if you wanted, convert to the carb.

2. To convert to a stick you would need the correct trans and transfer case. (Though you may not need the transfer case - hopefully one of the guru's will chime in here...) Should be a pretty straight forward swap.

3. That you need to talk to a more experienced guru. I bought mine 10 years ago and it was mint. And I stress WAS...

·
Registered
271 Posts
c6 came with the 5.8s but was an option on the 5.0s. the swap to a manual is from what ive heard difficult requiring welding cutting etc. you have to weld in a bracket for the clutch pedel, run everything for the clutch and swap out the brake pedel. theres a hatch for the manual tranny but im not sure if you have to cut or if it unbolts. 88 was a pretty solid year, AODs are pretty bad trannys if not well maintained. other than that, it has the same issues as any other bronco from what i can think of. rot around tailgate and rear quarters, mainly rot is the only universal issue among the broncos. if it has the 351, since 88 was the first year for fuel injection on that motor im not sure if they had issues, but i just bought an 88 351 out of a 250 so ill let you know if i find any problems.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i'm going to look at it tomorrow. seems like too good of a deal to turn down. a running vehicle for $300 is a steal. 4x4 bronco is a bonus. like said above scrap is worth more than $300, my friend got $100 for his non-running 95 accord, so surely a bronco will get more. regardless its not that much money to loose. thanks alot for all the help guys.

about the manual tranny; the local junk yard i go to (my friend has a chev, so we go there alot... lol, but true) has a bronco of this body style with a manual transmission, and alot of f150s so i'm thinkin i could get alot of parts for it. i'll take a look at what its got and what i can get at the junk yard, might not be too hard if i get enough parts...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i looked at it yesterday.

its the 302 (5.0L) with a 3-speed auto (c6 i'm guessing), there is a bit of rust along the sides, no holes but there are cracks above each rear wheel well. tires are done; cracked and chunks missing in parts, i don't think i would make the drive to my house (bout 20km/12miles). power windows, power locks, a/c, there was a bit of rot in the back but nothin serious. the guy said it ran, but we couldn' get it started even after charging and boosting. he said he'd call me when/if they get it running again.

i priced some tires for it, about $540 for 5 all terrain tires, "motor master total terrain m + s". they are on sale an canadian tire.

so it looks like it would cost $840 at least to make it road worthy, but i would want to repair/repaint the body and swap the tranny (3spd auto eeeeewwww) so it may be pricey.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i doubt it is a 302 w/ a c6 unless something was swapped.

For $300 i wouldn't put very much if any into the body. Just repair the floors and herculine them.
regaurdless of what came, the c6 was an option for any combo. c6 is a bulletproof tranny. id stick with it if its gonna be an around town, used for towing, or wheeling. pretty much, if you plan to beat up on the truck a little here and there. otherwise, an aod will suit you just fine, just keep it maintained. and your junkyard, you have to cut all of it out of the donor truck, and pay for it. and a tranny with everything that goes with it will cost you more than your projected cost. a junk yard around here anyway would charge in the area of 600 bucks on the cheap side. it cost me 500 for an aod with 100000 miles on it. i got ripped but still, thats junkyards. a c6 is just as good if not better than a standard. stick with it...that is ofcourse if they get the thing goin. good luck.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I've read some people drive those 302 Broncos with the intake manifold leak for years and it finally seizes the number 7 or 8 ? piston. Still if it needs a rebuild, the cost of the Bronco outweighs the $600 for a used 170 psi 302 from a junkyard. I bought my 88 running (although bleeding from nearly everywhere) but it works strong now after a couple grand, including tires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again everyone!

i forgot to mention the millage: its about 156k miles (260k km).

i'm pretty sure it was a 3 speed, the shifter had 1,D,OD. pretty sure the guy said 3 speed, cant remember now

these are the tires i was thinking about:

they are on sale for about $515 for 5. i was thinking about BFG all terrains because i got them on my ranger, but they are a bit pricy. (about $365 more for 5.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks again everyone!

i forgot to mention the millage: its about 156k miles (260k km).

i'm pretty sure it was a 3 speed, the shifter had 1,D,OD. pretty sure the guy said 3 speed, cant remember now

these are the tires i was thinking about:

they are on sale for about $515 for 5. i was thinking about BFG all terrains because i got them on my ranger, but they are a bit pricy. (about $365 more for 5.)
that should be an overdrive trany i have an 87 with a c6 it says 1,2,D...........it could have been swaped out though

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
1,D, OD is the AOD trans which is a 3spd with OD (or a 4spd to some).. I doubt someone swapped it due to driveshaft issues, but someone could have. Take a picture of the pan and we can tell.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Def AOD. If the fuel pump and or gas tank is original expect to be replacing.
Also if the battery/solenoid/starter cables are original change those out for
a thicker gauge also.

Check the rear pinion for play/leaks. You can try tightening the pinion bolt
but pinion bearings on the 8.8 usually get loose around 125k depending.

These few things are knows problems.
Change the fluid and filter in the AOD immediately if you buy it. If its never
been rebuilt, cross your fingers.

·
Banned
10,714 Posts
I have an 88 with a 302 and it has a C6 and that is stock.... C6's came standard on on the Auto Broncos AOD was an upgrade for Gas Mileage...
:twak
Yea whatever buddy

88-89 351=c6
302= aod

whether you want to believe it or not that's how they came.

There wasn't some magical option for a c6 on a 302 bronco.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
heh, its funny that this thread started up again today. cause the guy called me this afternoon and its running again.

as for the tranny, i've been going by http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm it says that for the 4.9L you could get m3, m4, and a3. 5.0L you could get m4, a3,a4. finally for the 5.8L you could get a3, or a4. not sure how accurate the site is, but it says its possible.

and i started looking at the kijiji site, and you can get tires for cheap!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.