Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys I'm new to these forums.

a guy i know contacted me today to see if i knew anyone who wanted a bronco. i've always loved broncos so i started getting some info; 88, auto, bit of rust, runs, $300. apparently his father in law just wants to get rid of it. so i had some questions:

1. were the 88s carbs or fuel injection? propane is really cheap here and it is easier and cheaper to get a propane kit for a carburetor. (please don't discuss the cost/benefit of propane, i've been though it before ;))

2. how hard would it be to convert it to a stick?

3. is there anything that i should look out for?

thanks!

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i'm going to look at it tomorrow. seems like too good of a deal to turn down. a running vehicle for $300 is a steal. 4x4 bronco is a bonus. like said above scrap is worth more than $300, my friend got $100 for his non-running 95 accord, so surely a bronco will get more. regardless its not that much money to loose. thanks alot for all the help guys.

about the manual tranny; the local junk yard i go to (my friend has a chev, so we go there alot... lol, but true) has a bronco of this body style with a manual transmission, and alot of f150s so i'm thinkin i could get alot of parts for it. i'll take a look at what its got and what i can get at the junk yard, might not be too hard if i get enough parts...

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i looked at it yesterday.

its the 302 (5.0L) with a 3-speed auto (c6 i'm guessing), there is a bit of rust along the sides, no holes but there are cracks above each rear wheel well. tires are done; cracked and chunks missing in parts, i don't think i would make the drive to my house (bout 20km/12miles). power windows, power locks, a/c, there was a bit of rot in the back but nothin serious. the guy said it ran, but we couldn' get it started even after charging and boosting. he said he'd call me when/if they get it running again.

i priced some tires for it, about $540 for 5 all terrain tires, "motor master total terrain m + s". they are on sale an canadian tire.

so it looks like it would cost $840 at least to make it road worthy, but i would want to repair/repaint the body and swap the tranny (3spd auto eeeeewwww) so it may be pricey.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again everyone!

i forgot to mention the millage: its about 156k miles (260k km).

i'm pretty sure it was a 3 speed, the shifter had 1,D,OD. pretty sure the guy said 3 speed, cant remember now

these are the tires i was thinking about:

they are on sale for about $515 for 5. i was thinking about BFG all terrains because i got them on my ranger, but they are a bit pricy. (about $365 more for 5.)

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
heh, its funny that this thread started up again today. cause the guy called me this afternoon and its running again.

as for the tranny, i've been going by http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm it says that for the 4.9L you could get m3, m4, and a3. 5.0L you could get m4, a3,a4. finally for the 5.8L you could get a3, or a4. not sure how accurate the site is, but it says its possible.

and i started looking at the kijiji site, and you can get tires for cheap!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.