Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that I can only get replacement hubs from the dealer, or is my local Warn dealer an idiot? My truck is an 88 with apparently a flange mount style hub (manual). Also someone had mentioned that you can convert to the traditional style hub. What parts are required to do this?

Thanks,
Julian

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,172 Posts
They are hard to find, not sure if the dealership is the only one that carries them, but probably one of the few. It is definitely easier and will cause you less grief down to the road to convert over. Get the hub and rotor assembly along with the spindles from any '84 - '86 or '92 - '92 pre ABS and you should be good to go. The knuckles should be the same

MORERUST said:
Is it true that I can only get replacement hubs from the dealer, or is my local Warn dealer an idiot? My truck is an 88 with apparently a flange mount style hub (manual). Also someone had mentioned that you can convert to the traditional style hub. What parts are required to do this?

Thanks,
Julian

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
I've got a set of these flange mount hubs i can sell ya MORERUST. PM me if your insterested.

Josh

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
you can pick up the parts from the junkyard (rotors, spindles, outer stub shafts) fora n easy 100 bucks around here at the most

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
I have the same problem. Do yourself the favor and upgrade to the better lockout hubs. Hit up the junkyard and get the parts. The flange hubs new are gonna run ya about 235.00 each..

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,979 Posts
For one, they fall off when you take off your wheel...

All other years had the normal style lockouts auto or manual that look like this.

Sorry I don't have a good shot of the auto lockers.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
hey B-Man. No worries.. I have a couple extra hubs you can have for $10 each.. :p

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Spectre said:
hey B-Man. No worries.. I have a couple extra hubs you can have for $10 each.. :p
Yeah yeah, lOL.. You scored on that front end off of that Bronco we destroyed.. Damn roll cage is STILL in the backyard. I should of took the 8.8 rear too..

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,643 Posts
They are easy to take apart. I rebuilt a set maybe 3 years ago with $3 bearings from a bearing shop. I like them so much that when i eventually get another bronco to cruise in, i intend to swap over to them.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Nice Steve..

For what it's worth I still have 3 of those hubs in a box for sale for 30 plus shipping for anyone who needs replacements..

I just swapped everything over from a 90 bronco onto our 87 and eliminated the need for them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Steve83....

Thank you for taking all the time to read through all the TSB on that CD. I had been looking for an exploded view of a TOP HAT. I was needing one. My daughter broke hers on her 88 ranger. I bought one at the JY for $20 and wanted to go thru it and change the grease. It had been about 17 years since I worked on these hubs and could not remember how to disassemble it. Yes, I know it is not a bronco but these hubs are built the same way. And yes I searched or I would not have found a thread this old.:thumbup:thumbup

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not to revive a dead thread but if anyone around still has some of these in the garage I'd be interested in buying them. I Just bought an 88 with that style hubs for a weekend toy and wouldn't mind having a couple of spares just in case.
I will eventually change over but probably not until after I break something. My ride is just for a little casual wheeling. 4" body lift 33's but otherwise stock so I shouldn't break much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts