Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advise on fixing exhaust. Noise problem sounds like at the manifold to exhaust pipe leak. Bolts all came loose ok problem is they all came off at the manifold instead of the nut at the flange. All seems to be welded below at the catalytic converter and another device beyond it. Muffler was just u-bolted on so came loose easy and out of the way. So now my exhaust is above the cross member between the catalytic converter and this other exhaust device. Do I have a choice anyone, does the crossmember have to come down if so how, what kind of support is needed to keep transfer case up. Or do I try to cut the exhaust all up in pieces to get it out, or should i just try to cut the bolts at the flange to install new ones to try to eliminate this exhaust noise (fairly loud). Is there a gasket that can be used between the pipe and manifold, I know there was not a gasket originally. Any help would be appreciated I am not a mechanic but try to do my own work when I can.
Thank in advance,
ledroyjr

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,318 Posts
You should only have one cat and a muffler. What is this other device??

No, theres no gasket for that location. You could have a cracked manifold or a bent flange where it bolts to the exhaust.

Are you intending on replacing the exhaust? If so, id chop the old stuff up to remove it.

Some pictures might help

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
Removing the crossmember is not the easiest task on these, simply due to the top most bolts. If you don't have to get it out of the way, it's best to avoid it.
If you do, though, the transmission and transfer case will stay up on their own. I wouldn't leave them like that for a long duration (that's a lot of extended weight). Any more than a couple days and you might want to put a jack stand under them or something, but it'll be fine for a short while.

On the exhaust, there's no gasket, but you can use an exhaust worthy copper RTV silicone.
Clean it really well with a wire wheel, or similar and get all the exhaust rust out of the pipes and follow the instructions on the package.

Although, what usually happens is people crank down on the exhaust bolts and deform the ball/socket joint on the pipe. They only need about 30 - 40 ft/lbs or so.

Lastly, for future reference, you'll get a lot better help on the site if you make your subject line something that pertains to your issue. Like, "Help with 1988 4.9L exhaust"
It catches more eyes from people who can help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you I will try to remember that on the title. I added pictures what do you call the devise on the end there after the cat and is it needed.

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
If I'm seeing what I think you're referring to in your pictures, I think that's a second catalytic converter.

Whether or not you need it/have to have it will depend on your local emissions laws.

If it's just a sniffer test, you can often get away with a single high end 3-way cat. But some places require you to replace them with factory spec stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts