Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best place to buy manual locking hubs for my 88 XLT and best brand?

This is what happened:

It’s the top hat style hubs:

Is there any way of putting something different than top hat style? If yes do tell, if no or too much if you know of a good brand and site I could order a new set from that would be great.

·
Man of endless projects
9,494 Posts
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-32136-1987-88-knuckle-out-conversion.html

they use to also sell tophat lockouts but they were 300$ each. better off gettin new axle or trying to figuer out exactly what is wrong with them. i jsut rigged mine to stay permanetly locked since my 88 is my mudtruck. i also heard theres a bronco junkyard in cali you may be able to call and get one. someone on here sold my there set and they worked for bout 6 months till htey died too

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
josh you're just about fawked seven ways from sunday.

about your only options are to fork out the big money for new tophat hubs, or fork out bigger money for the conversion stuff.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
josh you're just about fawked seven ways from sunday.

about your only options are to fork out the big money for new tophat hubs, or fork out bigger money for the conversion stuff.
:stupid:
I would check out the local pick an pull yards for parts.

You could get all of the coverersion parts from the junkyard, shafts, spindles/hubs lockouts and all :shrug:

KC

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
Josh you need to get everything from the knuckles out to convert it to a standard Hub setup. The Job is not that hard at all, you can compere it to doing a ball joint job.

There is a few TTB axles and or parts in the for sale section for cheap, Even one in VA.

Please dont just replace the top hat hubs there $$$$ and just not worth it.

·
car ramrod
Irate4x4 .com
601 Posts
I have an extra top hat hub I can send you if you need it to get the Bronco back on the road.

Also, damn, I've never seen one break like that before.

·
15,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did that happen?
i had a buddy helping me with the wheel bearings and he was using the air compressor to put the lugs on. Well he didnt hand tighten the lugs first he was putting it all the way on by with the air gun. He put the first one on and did not have the hub sitting right and snap all the way around. :smilie_slap

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-32136-1987-88-knuckle-out-conversion.html

they use to also sell tophat lockouts but they were 300$ each. better off gettin new axle or trying to figuer out exactly what is wrong with them. i jsut rigged mine to stay permanetly locked since my 88 is my mudtruck. i also heard theres a bronco junkyard in cali you may be able to call and get one. someone on here sold my there set and they worked for bout 6 months till htey died too
what's this bronco junkyard in Cali. you've heard of?

·
Man of endless projects
9,494 Posts
the airgun had that much power that it did that? i can believe something like rockcraweling doing that but jsut lugnuts being tightned is hard to believe. i had to drive my 88 for a few days without any tophat but i dont recommend that

what's this bronco junkyard in Cali. you've heard of?
i jsut remeber hearing about a bronco junkyard awhile ago when someone posted a question about spindels on a 96. idk anything bout it and have to look pretty far back to find that post

EDIT: found the thread. i guess its in Arizona, not Cali

Try Googling Driven Auto in Phx, AZ. Call and ask for Randy, he owns the joint. Its a broncos only jy. He will most likely know exactly the part you are looking for and they ship. He deals in mostly classic stuff, but has plenty of late model stuff to... just be specific with him and he will probly get you what you need if he's got it... good luck!

·
15,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the airgun had that much power that it did that? i can believe something like rockcraweling doing that but jsut lugnuts being tightned is hard to believe. i had to drive my 88 for a few days without any tophat but i dont recommend that
It might have been weak from the last wheeling trip but the airgun got the last of it. :cry

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an 88 to. Yesterday went to the junkyard and bought the used axles out assembly from an 1983 Bronco for $80.00. The setup had a nice set of the good Warn lockouts on it. Only took a little while to remove at the junkyard as we just cut off the ball joints. I have good ones on my 88. The hubs and rotors are in excellent shape also. Goodluck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you checked with Johnson Mustang on your side of the water? I have got a rear end and other nice used parts from them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Swapping the entire TTB axle assembly is vastly easier, faster, & cheaper than converting that one to use "normal" hub locks. Remember that '87-88 trucks with auto hub locks got the "normal" stuff - yours is THAT rare. And the fact that Ford stopped after only 1.5 years should tell you something about the rationale of replacing them with the same thing.

I would do entire change out :popc1:

·
15,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Swapping the entire TTB axle assembly is vastly easier, faster, & cheaper than converting that one to use "normal" hub locks. Remember that '87-88 trucks with auto hub locks got the "normal" stuff - yours is THAT rare. And the fact that Ford stopped after only 1.5 years should tell you something about the rationale of replacing them with the same thing.

I do plan on swapping out just not right now. I have a spare set of tophats for now.

well i believe the BroncoIIs and Rangers had that style for there D35 but they were smaller
Correct

1 - 20 of 22 Posts