Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so, the search function wasn't working and just showing me a blank page. Question:

What's with the tranny mount on my '88?

I've seem to have some unique mount that was used before 10-05-87. The VIN tag says my BKO was manufactured 09/87. It has one cylindrical rubber isolator and looks different than other mounts offered by the parts stores and rockauto that have a block-style isolator. There are, also, three mounting studs coming through the tranny x-member instead of the, usual two.

What gives and where can I find the type of mount that I have? Is that even an option anymore? If not, will the other tranny mounts work?

Thanks guys,
Eric

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

I went ahead and bought the standard ones from Anchor. I guess I'll make any mods necessary to make them work. This way, I can just replace them with the same ones in the future without any issues.

Still curious about the reason for the change in mount style, though. If my crossmember doesn't work, I may have to modify the mounting stud slots. I would rather just get a normal crossmember from a later year Bronco instead of compromising the structural integrity of my, current, 3-slot brace any further. Not a big fan of removing material from any drivetrain-related component.

Eric

·
Man of endless projects
9,289 Posts
I just noticed yesterday that the 87 bronco ive been working on has that same mount. never seen it before. but the new mount should be direct swap minus the middle bolt in the xmember. I wouldn't bother replacing the cross member just because that extra slot, its not going to make much difference in strength especially when stock. but Anchor mounts are pretty crappy and never last long. make sure motor mounts are good or else itll just keep breaking the tranny mount

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel dumb... it took me a couple minutes to realize what "TTIWWOP" stood for.

So... is Supermotors like Photobucket, or, something? I have a Photobucket account. Most guys here seem to have a Supermotors account, though.

It's flipped upside-down (when installed, the rubber isolator points up and the three studs come through the x-member), but, here's what it looks like (this one's for a 2.3L Ranger):

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/images/858720transmnt.jpg

Apparently, Ford only used these for late '87 - early '88 production models. In 10/05/87 they switched to this:

http://www.carid.com/ic/wp/dea/w01331888074dea_3.jpg

Eric

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, as an update, the Anchor #2557 trans mount was a direct fit. No mods to the x-member needed at all. However, the existing trans-to-mount bolts were too long by, about 5/8". I had some other bolts laying around from a '91 Mustang that worked fine.

You need new bolts, though, because the shoulder that is present with the "unique" '88 mount that accommodates the aluminum spacers will not allow them to work with the Anchor #2557 mount. They will not fully thread into the tranny case. You need a fully-threaded bolt with no shoulder that is, about, 5/8" shorter than the stock ones.

I also, replaced the motor mounts. No issues there. Direct swap. The clunking/popping I was experiencing upon acceleration is, now, gone. Apparently, all the mounts were shot. After f***ing around with the tranny mount, I can see why Ford may have discontinued their use. Horribly impractical design.

Eric

·
Man of endless projects
9,289 Posts
the motor mount design is horrible for our trucks. even new ones suck and last only a few months when offroading or heavy acceleration. a lot of people put a bolt through them to prevent them from separating. I use the poly mounts from JBG which are designed to never separate and are really nice for heavy offroading but still affordable enough for DD

·
Eric
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Kingfish. Those will probably be in the future. I just need to keep the thing driving until I do the motor/tranny swap. Probably start in on that within the next few months, after the holidays.

But, yeah... for a minute there this morning I thought I was going to have to get the sawzall out because I was running out of clearance to remove the trans-to-mount bolt on the passenger side. Could, barely, get a thin profile wrench around the head to turn the thing. Ended up having to use needle-nose pliers to access the bolt around the threads, from just above the spacer, and finish turning it out. It looks like it was designed to have the x-member dropped for removal of the mount.

Haven't had my ass kicked by a vehicle, yet, and wasn't about to start this morning. Definitely required some "creativity", though.

Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts