Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8.8 out of a 89 150 it has 4.11 out of factory although i have replaced them once.I am thinking about using it in my 96 bronco when i lift it.Is the tone ring the same in both axles or is it different becouse of the ratio difference?If it is different will it keep the speedometer correct ,or will i still have to change the computer settings?Also,when i rebuilt this axle i put a auburn L.s. in it,I ran the truck a year then it started making a loud popping or banging noise when i would make a gradual turn.I took the axle out and replaced it thinking the L.s. was shot.I now remembered that i didnt put any Ls additive in the oil,Will changing the oil fix it or are the clutches wore out?If they are wore out can i unload them by removing the clutch springs?Or should i remove the ring and pinion from it and install it in my 96 axle?What do you guys think?Sorry for the long post but i realy need to decide if this axle is worth using or not .Thanks Bo.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
sounds like the LS may be shot, but they are worthless anyway so don't worry :toothless: seriously, if you want to keep it isn't auburn offering a factory rebuild program? next time use the additive, or just get a detroit and be done with it.

as far as the tone rings go: i just swapped plug uglys 4.10 geared 94 rearend into my 89 that had 3.55s and it was plug and play. i'm not sure what the deal with the VSS is, but i know they use the same tone ring as the RABS, and i think that it just plugs into the same harness as the RABS on the diff.:shrug:

bronkzilla posted how to correct your speedometer a long time ago; i didn't pay attention because my speedo is different from your 9whatevers'. search for that and you may find the answer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
With my limited knowledge, the tone ring has nothing to do with the ratio or gear, it's used for ABS. Are they the same, I don't know, someone will chime in here with the info you are looking for. Why are you swapping the entire rear, so you don't have to change the R&P backlash and pinion preload? I would think it would be easier to just swap carriers and have them resetup.

:shrug

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
It also tells the speedo how fast you are going. Not sure about the ABS part. The rings should be the same, you dont have to change it when you change gears. It just has to tell the comp how many revolutions it makes, which will change with tire size and gear changes. You will have to recalibrate the comp so it gives you the correct speed and mileage. Or if you greater tire and gear size are the same ratio as stock, youll be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts