Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Paul, the E4OD in my 94 Bronco has 205K on it. It still shifts great, fluid looks good, is it worth up grading the valve body. Or with that kind of mileage just let it be.
Kenny

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Paul, the E4OD in my 94 Bronco has 205K on it. It still shifts great, fluid looks good, is it worth up grading the valve body. Or with that kind of mileage just let it be.
Kenny
mileage really isnt a consideration here if the fluid is nice n clean, smells ok etc.....should be no issue

·
Registered
959 Posts
What do you need to know?
I am needing to do a rebuild and would a direction to go in. I plan on one of your valve bodies but am looking for info beyond that. I have 35 inch tires and 4.56 gears. I see performance type brands are they any better than OEM replacement stuff? I see a towing based E4OD package and am wondering what my be different?

Brandon

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I am needing to do a rebuild and would a direction to go in. I plan on one of your valve bodies but am looking for info beyond that. I have 35 inch tires and 4.56 gears. I see performance type brands are they any better than OEM replacement stuff? I see a towing based E4OD package and am wondering what my be different?

Brandon
hmm...well i cant speak for other builders and their stages. personally i only build them one way. then set up the vb to shift to the customers liking.

just be sure to ditch the aluminum planets....thats a start. if youre building a pre 95 change the pump to at least an F5 and be sure to convert the center support to a ball bearing style........i mean i can go on here for pages but these are a good basis to address some weaker areas of the trans.....

·
imdabes
937 Posts
Hey, dumb question but haven't busted into my Tranny yet. 1990 5 Speed 302 is E4OD right?

Only 175K on it, shifts good in the 3K range...if I shift around 2K I get a big vibration while power is being transfered. Not sure where the vibration comes from though, non existant when shifting at higher RPMs

Edit: I think the vibration is the Torque converter, its hardest in between 3rd and 4th, just put 35s on and stock gears though, might be it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Hey, dumb question but haven't busted into my Tranny yet. 1990 5 Speed 302 is E4OD right?

Only 175K on it, shifts good in the 3K range...if I shift around 2K I get a big vibration while power is being transfered. Not sure where the vibration comes from though, non existant when shifting at higher RPMs

Edit: I think the vibration is the Torque converter, its hardest in between 3rd and 4th, just put 35s on and stock gears though, might be it.
5 speed? So yours in a stick shift? no man, e40d is a automatic. and there is no torque convertor in a manuel.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
What about converter? Any upgrades for clutches? I would love to buy one of yours and may end up doing so...
i like the PRECISION INDUSTRIES units and Circle-D units. very good pieces....i see them take abuse after abuse on the lightning trucks.....

ive got trannies in the 9's using these converters and some of the trucks weigh in at nearly 5000lbs.....

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
:shocked :doh0715:

Damn it! I installed your VB last month, and I totally forgot to ship back the core! Sorry Paul, that'll be on it's way shortly!

On a side note... Like I said, I did get Paul's VB installed, and holy shit!!!!! What a world of difference it made! No more sloppy/mushy shifts. Nice a tight, firm, snappy shifts! When I'm just cruising the shifts are very mellow, and just noticeable enough to tell my massive ass e40d is working perfectly. But then when I hit WOT, my bronco shifts rock hard and mean, like it's on the last lap of Le Mans fighting for 1st place. It is just incredible! Probably the best thing I’ve done to my bronco right next to the 6L tune up! HIGHLY RECOMEND TO ANYONE/EVERYONE ELSE!!! :rockon

·
Registered
163 Posts
:shocked :doh0715:

Damn it! I installed your VB last month, and I totally forgot to ship back the core! Sorry Paul, that'll be on it's way shortly!

On a side note... Like I said, I did get Paul's VB installed, and holy shit!!!!! What a world of difference it made! No more sloppy/mushy shifts. Nice a tight, firm, snappy shifts! When I'm just cruising the shifts are very mellow, and just noticeable enough to tell my massive ass e40d is working perfectly. But then when I hit WOT, my bronco shifts rock hard and mean, like it's on the last lap of Le Mans fighting for 1st place. It is just incredible! Probably the best thing I’ve done to my bronco right next to the 6L tune up! HIGHLY RECOMEND TO ANYONE/EVERYONE ELSE!!! :rockon
x2

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ok. I'm not in the position right now to do this. I'm in the process of building a garage addition that will enable my goal of restoring my bronco. ( Yeah, I know. I should just lay on the ground as most of you do.:crazy ) However, I've found reading Paul's responses to be facinating and they come across as totally honest. I just had to chime in here as it isn't often that what someone writes on the web comes across as just plain straight forward and aimed to provide customer satisfaction. He's gotta make some money off his business, yet he seems to be less motivated by that than producing a quality product. Its nice to see someone doing that. :thumbup

·
car ramrod
602 Posts
Any parts/advice for those of with AOD?
I don't want to hi-jack paul's thread, but for your AOD you should take a look at the valvebodies offered by Lentech Automatics. Their valve bodies allow you to have push button overdrive, and the ability to hold second gear without doing the 1-D-1 shuffle.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I don't want to hi-jack paul's thread, but for your AOD you should take a look at the valvebodies offered by Lentech Automatics. Their valve bodies allow you to have push button overdrive, and the ability to hold second gear without doing the 1-D-1 shuffle.
As a small businessman and FSB vendor, my first choice would be Punisher, but if AODs are something he doesn't supply parts for, then I would investigate Lentech. Thanks for the link, Stonepaw, much appreciated.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Well I missed this thread about the Punisher Valve Body. I have the Comp version in my truck and WOW! The thing is awesome. I can totally daily drive my truck, and when I want to get after it there is no holding back. This change makes my little 302 seem like a beast! My wife drove my truck and her comment was "5K shift is painful, I know why he calls it the Punisher!" Her truck is an 06 chebby and you know that it is fixing to shift cuz it has the mushy slow acceleration go into gear pick up acceleration feel to it. My Ford with the Punisher don't even seem to drop any rpm even at low rpm shifts. There is no hesitation what so ever in this valve body. It flat out works! Get one you will not be dissapointed.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts