Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 89 Bronco with 408w, using Trickflow intake and 90mm TB. The throttle pull is from the rear and located on the driver's side. I have re-engineered the cable bracket that holds kick down and throttle to be in the right spot. The problem is the length of the throttle cable. I have to loop it around like a garden hose to take up extra length.

Has anyone ever shortened a factory cable, preferably from the pedal end? Since the brackets work I would like to keep factory cable. I see shorter ones available online for I6 models but can't be sure mounting part near the tb is the same.

Bratcop

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So taking the lead from that video I dove in. Happy to inform I was able to, with some red neck engineering, make a shorter cable.

Basically took good measurements for both ends that extend from sheath. I noted that spring on TB side is always under tension, so I measured overall length to ensure it would end up same before I cut. I cut the cable at the pedal end, measuring distance between cable stop and pedal stop before I cut.

Once cut, cable is removed. I then cut sheath near firewall mount. Pull the sheath out of the mount, then the stainless conduit type material and the wire braid. Trim the sheath to the length you need. The sheath should slide back into the firewall bracket, glue it if u want more secure connection.

Confirm TB end is assembled correctly, then feed cable back through the sheath. I used a ferrule cable end to crimp on the cable as the stop on the pedal end. I simply pulled the cable until the TB end was the correct length, the crimped the ferrule on. I then made sure the plastic piece that fits into the pedal was in place.

And here is the red neck engineering. I used a mig welding tip for the end piece on the cable. I used. 045 tip and drilled it big enough for the wire to go through. I then cut and countersunk the threaded end of the mig tip to allow space for some solder. When I got the spacing between the cable stop and pedal pull, I simple soldered the cable into the mig tip. I ended up with a 9.5" factory throttle cable.

Hope it helps someone else.

Bratcop

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts