Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, it appears that my transmission is leaking from where the dipstick tube connects to the transmission. It looks like the previous owner tried to just caulk around it, but its leaking pretty bad. I'm wondering how i go about fixing the leak? I found a couple other threads, some saying there is just an o-ring that can be replaced if i pull the tube out, others saying the tranny needs to be dropped. Just looking for a definite answer. Thanks!

·
Registered
446 Posts
You could just clean the area around the tube, unbolt the bracket @ the bellhousing, pull the tube out ( get a pan you'll leak fluid), replace the seal on the tube ( use the correct one and lube w/ATF), and reinstall.
I would suggest taking the extra time and effort to drop the pan and change the filter also. You will be losing fluid/making a mess anyway, and it will ensure you don't get any crap in the pan while pulling/reinstalling the tube.
Obviously, you want to do the tube part of the job whilst the pan is off.

Also, make sure there is no rtv/crap in the bore for the tube.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i dunno about the 89 but my 92 has the same issue and i have found that the dipstick tube is a 2 piece. the lower piece is pressed into the tranny and you have to drop the tranny to replace and reorientate in the same way. the uper piece just has a oring sealing between the 2 surfaces

·
Registered
446 Posts
i dunno about the 89 but my 92 has the same issue and i have found that the dipstick tube is a 2 piece. the lower piece is pressed into the tranny and you have to drop the tranny to replace and reorientate in the same way. the uper piece just has a oring sealing between the 2 surfaces
Thats an e4od. He should have either a aod or c6.

·
Registered
217 Posts
With the C6 there is a bracket on the (one-piece) dipstick tube that holds it steady - the bracket is held in place by one of the bellhousing bolts.

Same thing happened to me - I pulled out the dispstick tube and replaced the o-ring. Took the opportunity to repaint the dipstick tube while I had it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts