Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '89 bronco custom. Blew the speaker today, and i was wondering if any one knew if it will be a 5.25'' speaker or a 6'' speaker? Thanks for info.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Here's a pic of mine with the grill removed, and another with a 6x9 beside it. The grill pops right out with no tools.

Attachments

·
Banned
18,967 Posts
mcaldwell said:
Here's a pic of mine... The grill pops right out with no tools.
That's a REAR speaker - not a door speaker, and it's different from an '89 anyway. The older grille isn't removeable - the entire bedwall panel has to be pulled. But his is a Custom, so it doesn't even have rear speakers.

BTW
It's VERY easy to break the little loops at the front of the opening when you're removing that style grille.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Steve83 said:
That's a REAR speaker - not a door speaker, and it's different from an '89 anyway. The older grille isn't removeable - the entire bedwall panel has to be pulled. But his is a Custom, so it doesn't even have rear speakers.

BTW
It's VERY easy to break the little loops at the front of the opening when you're removing that style grille.

Ahhh, sosorry sensai. I will die the death of 1000 cuts now. :banghead

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i just went to walmart and bought some new speakers got home pulled the door panels and they were 6 inch speakers.. so i replaced those and it sounds real nice now:rockon

·
Banned
18,967 Posts
I don't know why I didn't mention that - I guess I got distracted by mcaldwell... :brownbag Make that 1001 cuts!

And for the record: the rears are NOT 6x9. :twak They're 5x7 / 6x8. Make it 1002.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Steve83 said:
And for the record: the rears are NOT 6x9. :twak They're 5x7 / 6x8. Make it 1002.
That one I did know. The pic shows a 6x9 beside the stock speaker for size comparison.

Somebody had said in another thread that you could wedge a 6x9 in the hole with some modding, but it was going to take a hell of a lot more work than I wanted to do.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Steve, do you have something for the 92-96 (specifically, 94) style Truck rear speakers? I've done the fronts in my old 89 before so that's not an issue - but hte rear I wasn't sure. It looks like I HAVE to completely pull everything out to replace the 5x7/6x8's back there.

Why couldn't Ford have just put 6.5's in the doors....

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Saurian said:
Steve, do you have something for the 92-96 (specifically, 94) style Truck rear speakers? I've done the fronts in my old 89 before so that's not an issue - but hte rear I wasn't sure. It looks like I HAVE to completely pull everything out to replace the 5x7/6x8's back there.

Why couldn't Ford have just put 6.5's in the doors....
Take a look again at that pic I posted. It shows the rear mount, and you can easily get to 3 of the four screws, and if you don't want to remove the entire panel, just get a flex drive or a right angle drive (Like a mini 1/4" ratchet with a phillips bit).

As for what to do, if you have 6x9's or similar sitting around, you can make them fit with some fiddling and trimming. My experience was that it would be too much hassle to bother for the cheap 120W 6x9s that I had, and I would be better off just buying new 5x7's. Speakers are cheap these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts