Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help a 16 year old out here.. so i got home from school today and went out to start up my bronc. i turned the key to the on position and no dash or headlights would come on, wouldnt turn over, not even a click. so i went and got the titan and jumped it, took a little while to get some juice in there but it started up just fine once it did. now i drove it around the block to make sure it was charged and went and backed it into the garage and shut it off. i go to start it again to make sure and it did the same thing. no lights, not turnin over, nothing. one thing i did notice was that when i started it up the rpms were sittin around 2100 for a minute or two, then it went back down to 8-900 at idle. its always done this since ive had it and ive never had a problem starting it. now when i started it up i was playin with the lights and wipers and everything, and when i turn the headlights on the rpms jump to 2grand, then back to idle. did it every time without fail. now i dont have a dad around to help me out with this kinda stuff, all the work on this has been done by me and ive owned it for about a year now. it has a new starter and battery in it but thats all ive had to do to it so far. im thinkin it might be the distributor or maybe the batterys not grounded right but i really have no idea. any help would be great, thanks.

truck is a 89 eddie bauer, 5.8

·
Registered
268 Posts
Alright...let's take a deep breath....

First of all let's do a recap...The battery is there to start the vehicle and power accessories when the motor is not running. The alternator runs everything once the motor is running....which is why you were able to drive the truck around the block and back home.

Remove the +/- leads to your battery and use a multimeter to test the voltage....chances are it is in the 5-8VDC range....

Sounds like a simple need for a new battery.

Take the time to clean all battery leads and ground strap contacts...once secured coat them with terminal grease.

Turn the key and hear it start.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
X2 on the battery so put an 850CCA battery on your wish list and your BKO will thank you everyday, costs around $81.00 at Costco but worth very penny...trust me....

I would "pull codes" from the computer just on the basis there might be some "ignition issues" go to www.fordfuelinjection.com for FREE code numbers and "fault explanations" and How To pull codes....additional Help source go to www.broncolinks.com.....

More then likely if you disconnect battery cable for cleaning and charging etc. the computer may drop some memory, like IAC = idle air control valve setting ....and so on...

I would also go so far as to test the (S) right side of the "starter relay" over on the right inside fender.. because of thier inferior quality they can be a weak link,. ie: no voltage, no start....

Make sure the NEG battery cable is "grounded" directly to the frame, bare/strip the cable to the wire core about an inch in diameter and make a clean spot on the frame and attach it there with a hold down bracket, it will help with continuity overall......

If you don't have a Haynes Repair Manual already then get one ASAP, a lot of these issue can be found there for self diagnosis...then FSB "search" above, www.fordsfuelinjection.com and www.broncolinks.com , so get in the habit of checking these sources first and they will give you all the info you need to stay on the road..

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts