Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching the threads for this answer. Maybe I am looking with the wrong question.

My front end is leaking fluids badly. I stopped driving it so it wouldn't break on me. I checked it out and it looks like it is a bad cover seal or something the fluid is building up in the axel cover thing. I am not sure what it is called. Anyway it is the big metal cover that surrounds the center section of the rear. It cups it so to speak and has a little ledge under the rear its self. The fluid is sitting in that. The pinion seal looks great.

Money is a little tight thease days and I am know to turn a wrench or two. I was wondering how hard of a job it would be to take on resealing the front end. My buddie that runs his own shop said it pays $70 to do it pluss fluids. He said he is going to loose money on that job. He says the book that tells him the man hours for a job has got to be wrong.

Anyway is it a big job?

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
It ain't easy, that's for sure. You pretty much have to tear the front end apart to remove the pumpkin. Clean up the pumpkin and the TTB housing, slap some silicone on the pumpkin gasket face, and put it all back together again. It's an opportune time to replace spindle bearings, axle u-joints, and ball joints while it's apart.

As long as the front hubs are unlocked and you leave it in two wheel drive, you won't hurt anything by driving it.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Are you saying the D-44 TTB is leaking where the 3rd member is bolted to the drivers side traction beam?

Becouse if so it can drain completly dry and will not matter as long as the hubs are unlocked with the T-case in 2hi, none of that moves then. Just dont try using the 4x4 system with it like that (empty)

Edit-------------------------------------------------------------------
Darn, Larston beat me to it :toothless

·
Administrator
22,849 Posts
if your buddy is willing to do it for $70.00 I would beg borrow or steal the money...that's cheap if you dont know how to do it yourself.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea i was thinking it was a pain in the ass. His price seemed very cheep after I looked at it myself.

good to know nothing will go wrong as long as I don't use the 4wd.

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
$70.00 sounds like a steal for you. I just tackeled this job yesterday on my Bronco. I had to replace the axelshaft u-joints. It took me about 2 hours to get everything apart. Getting it back together tomorrow might be a different story. I guess it depends on how mechanical you are. I also agree with everyone else, if your going to pull it apart replace the seals, bearings, and axel shaft u- joints.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It may just be oil that dripped down from the last oil change. Filters are in a great spot to have oil drip down onto the axle...I thought mine had a leak there also when I first got it...turns out it was dripping from a sloppy oil change.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts