Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
89 front left caliper binding/ brake smoking

Here is the problem. I was driving my truck when I noticed that my left front brake was smoking when I stopped at a stop sign. I thought I could make it home so kept going. I made it, however my brakes kept going out. When I got out to look at my tire it was cocked on the spindle. Upon further investigation I found that the bearings where trashed, caliper destroyed, hub torn up, and the spindle was warped.
Since then I have replaced the spindle, bearings on both sides, automatic hubs on both sides, brakes on both sides, calipers on both sides. Also I have replaced the rear brakes and wheel cylinders on both sides. I've also adjusted the star wheel properly. I bled the system and got allot of nasty stuff out of the rear brake lines and finally got clean brake fluid out of them. Nothing bad out of the front, just nice clean brake fluid. Good pressure all around. Took it for a test drive and at the same spot where they started smoking before the same thing happened.
So I changed the brake line on that left side and bled the entire system. At about 4 miles can smell the brakes burning. Seems the caliper is still binding.

I changed out the master cylinder, cleaned the proportioning valve, and then bled the system and that left side is still binding up giving off that smell.

The right front is fine no smell at all. Whatever the problem is it only effects the left side. I have jacked up the front and spun both tires. They both spin the same and have the same amount of drag.

If anyone has an idea I am open for anything at this point.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the caliper is still binding. I can smell the brake burning on the left side only. I forgot to put in that I cleaned up the proportioning valve. When I took it of the old master cylinder it did have a little sluge in it.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
You might wanna check your power brake booster's pushrod adjustment. There's a gage you can literally make out of a business card, which can be found on the Ford service CDs. The skinny is that the tip of the rod should be projecting 0.980-0.995 inch from the master cylinder mounting surface (at least on a 1993 model). If it's out of spec, the fluid won't return to the master cylinder.

That's a long shot, since if that was the case, BOTH front wheels should be doing it...

You're sure there's no air in that left side, right? You lubed the slides? Are your spindle nuts torqued correctly? Sure the hub/wheel ain't wobbling? Did you get brake fluid or grease on the pads? Did you clean the rotor off thoroughly before installation?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is gone. I pulled the tire off and the caliper. I greased the slides and reinstalled it. Maybe it was the slides not greased properly or it was installed wrong to begin with. Not sure, but it's workin now!!

Thanks for the comments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts