Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i know i'm in the wrong section but i want to here your guys' opinion on this. Since the older broncos were carbureted, i want to know how they did off road. I am getting sick of my EFI BS with the vacuums, sensors, and smog canisters that i am seriously thinking about converting to an off road carburetor. I think i might have been born in the wrong time period because for some reason i think carburetors are easier to work on and i have done some research on those offroad carbs, but i am still skeptical if they work or not. How well do your guys' trucks do in the dirt, mud, sand, and at high elevations? What problems have you delt with in relation to carburetors?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I'd say the #1 drawback to carbs vs. efi for offroad use is regardless of what carb you get, you're limited to right around 35* of being off camber. Then you start having fuel feed issues...some carbs are better, some are worse, but that seems to be where I start having problems. I've read on here though, that flipping and using the Motorcraft 2150 carb will yield you some of the best results out there for off camber stuff. That's about all the drawbacks I can think of when it comes to functionality. However, then you have the issue of lost efficiency by losing the efi, which you could drive upside down with if you wanted to. Then you have to figure cost of the swap, new carb, intake and heads. You could just take that same money and get your efi system tuned up properly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
not sure why you would want to get rid of the efi. but i have the stock motorcraft (with a few things done to it) on mine and it will outperform my friends truck avenger in off camber situations. At elevations it still runs pretty good even off camber. I think it would be better to leave the efi on though and just get it running right.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got a deal on a 5.8 injected motor for my 84 and changed it over to a carb setup.It wasn't that much work and turned out fine.It isn't driven on the street so emmissions were not an issue.Basically carb/intake,non computor distributor,electric fuel pump(the 93 motor I used didn't have provision for mechanical),And I installed a set of longtube headers.I do need a better carb but for now it's ok.As far as a street legal swap I really don't know but mine runs ok.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
ummm, dunno why this was in the 78/9 forum, but I moved it.

oh and put a carb on it. carbs run great, just have fun passing through the ca smog nazi's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts