Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hoping to get some input on an upgrade from stock. Need to pop the motor to get to an oil leak so I'm upgrading to a Gibson Cat back and figured I would swap out the manifold too while the engine was out. Nothing crazy but solid reliable and improved performance is the main goal. Thanks!

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
569 Posts
I wish I could be of more help. When I pulled my motor I wanted to do headers as well and the guy that worked on mine was adamantly against them. Told me I would have to replace gaskets in them each year and what not so I stayed with manifold. Seems like a lot of folks run them and like them so it makes me wish I had some days. My motor is completely stock so the “increase in power” would probably be negligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,286 Posts
Yo antbat156,
Welcome!
Consider 89 w/Summit® (PaceSetter) Shorty Headers pics in an 89 5.8
Source: by BikerPepe` supermotors is dead slow

□□□
Here is some info for you; 1989 Ford Bronco EVTM, Emissions (yellowish/red book cover) & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
1989 Service manual - Google Drive
Slow scrolling, so download for faster viewing and to see the table of contents, the search feature, etc.

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

Register with VIN to see most Ford dealer maintenance/repairs done @ any dealership nation-wide @ Welcome to Ford Owner | Official Ford Owner Site

For any Bronco questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Bronco info with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.
Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

Now you can simply enter your information in the text editor and click save.

Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search. See more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

See and Vote in our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Also see the prizes! They are freaking awesome!

Al

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,662 Posts
Shorties are a good choice, with good gaskets. Not the paper ones they send with em.

Manifolds have one thing up on headers... They keep heat in the exhaust, which keeps the engine cooler.

Reactions: CrazyBRONCOguy

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,856 Posts
Agree on the above.
I run Remflex Gaskets on mine and they have worked great for me. I do agree the shorty headers will only offer a small gain (assuming stock-ish rest of engine) As long as your not expecting 100hp from them maybe worth it... For me, would I replaced in really good shape manifolds with shorties on a stock engine, no. Would I replace cracked stock manifolds with shorties, yes. In other words it would be hard for me to buy stock replacement manifolds. This is on a 5.0/5.8 in these trucks. Different combos will yeild different results....

Also on the replace gaskets 1 time a year... Even if that was the case, that doesn't seem all the bad to me, though I do not think that will be the case if you use good gaskets, even better with headers that have nice thick flanges. If you do them once a year at least your not going run into stuck bolts/studs and that.

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,662 Posts
Remflex seals good, but they are very fragile while handling them. I tried one on my 300, but when i had to pull the intake and headers off, I went with a Flatout brand gasket. Its not as thick, but has much more sealing surface area. On the 300, the intake and exhaust share a single gasket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I usually avoid forums... this is weird not one negative comment! Thanks for your advice on both my ride and the use of this forum.
So is the term boogie in regards to new to the forum or new to working on vehicles?

·
Addicted to Junk
12,662 Posts
Wow, I usually avoid forums... this is weird not one negative comment! Thanks for your advice on both my ride and the use of this forum.
So is the term boogie in regards to new to the forum or new to working on vehicles?
Newbie or noobie is just a term for new to whatever you are currently working on. Mostly here though, its a place for asking questions that are fairly basic and generic. The specific tech sub-sections are for things a little more in depth. The noobie section is the best place to put a question as it sees the most traffic. Even myself, with 12k posts over 14 years, still posts things in it.

We try to be kind and helpful to all that visit our site. Theres no point in being rude to someone who needs help and shares our general interest in broncos, fords, and 4x4. Otherwise, we dont have much of a community. We try to be a family here, and many of us consider others here as brothers (and sisters). You'd be surprised at the generosity of some people on here. Heck, we even bought a bronco for a brother in need once.

So that being said, welcome to the family!

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
569 Posts
I’ve only been a bronco owner for about a year now and I absolutely love this forum. There isn’t a lot of pi$$ing matches like other places and everyone is extremely gracious and helpful. Just stay away from the political/religious threads and don’t say anything about “OJ” broncos and you’ll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,819 Posts
What ever headers you go with, look at having them Ceramic coated. i had my JBA headers coated and it really helps with under hood temps and keep the heat inside the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
the remflex gaskets are thick as a mofo. i actually ditched as many of the header bolts as i could because they don't thread very far into the head. but in some spots i had to use them because the bends in the headers necessitate a tiny head on the bolts.

also, some manufacturers do sell ceramic coated versions and bare versions of their headers.

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs. 94 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/1356/3.50 gears.
356 Posts
A good middle ground that is never mentioned is port matching manifolds. I've experimented a lot over the years, I saw more power with ported manifolds on Nissan KA24E's than with long tube headers, same results with stock vs a built engine as well. Your results may vary, but in my case it was worth the hour with a die grinder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts