Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to swap to 8 lug using all ford parts like 250 brakes and such, the only stuff i can find for 8 lug swaps is using the chevy stuff.
i'm in Australia and the chevy stuff is not exactly easy to get

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
1,014 Posts
Not easily.... I’ve got a project in the works, but it’s on a wayyy back burner, but it involves cutting and welding together 8 lug Dana 50 beams and Dana 44 beams. The thing I’m looking to gain from the swap is the bigger u-joints the Dana 50 uses

·
Registered
577 Posts
Not easily.... I’ve got a project in the works, but it’s on a wayyy back burner, but it involves cutting and welding together 8 lug Dana 50 beams and Dana 44 beams. The thing I’m looking to gain from the swap is the bigger u-joints the Dana 50 uses
You're talking about doing hybrid beams right? Cut the knuckles off 50 beams and weld them on 44 beams?

Sent from my Hush-98 comlink

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
So it's not possible to swap d44 hd from the knuckle out onto a d44
Nope, ball joint spacing is different. And the spindle bolt pattern is way different so you can’t swap over spindles either

·
Man of endless projects
9,231 Posts
i tried a project of using D44 beams modified to use D50 knuckles. pretty much had it assembled but overall i abandoned it because i did not have faith it would work well and wouldn't not have been strong. and was alot of work for subpar results with alot of potential issues. i guess pics in first post were deleted when the forum changed.

so i tried a different project and modified a complete D50 to be coil spring and use radius arms. this i did complete and have it under the truck now. but i wont be able to test it till i have my engine built. its still not perfect and has alot of potential issues still. its all covered in the same thread. in short i extended the driver side beam and then used uniballs on both beams. i didnt want to make new radius arms so i modified the beams where i can reuse my radius arms. overall it worked but the coilsprings are now mounted closer inboard so that might cause some issue with leverage. the differential on the D44HD/D50 is more centered in the truck so this can affect long tube headers (had that issue on my F250 44HD). but i THINK it shouldwork when done but man its really alot of work.

if it doesn't work well ill probably jsut throw it under my 88 mud truck where i wont need to worry about crashing at 60mph and use its chevy outter conversion on my 96

·
--------------
'96 XL EEC-V 347 E40D 1356 411 6" lift 35x12.50x15
4,563 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Crawltunes did (was doing) a long travel Centurion with 4.5" over 50 beams that looked pretty sick. Not sure if they ever finished that project.

Sent from my Hush-98 comlink

1 - 9 of 9 Posts