Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an unknown model & year 9" with drums under my Bronco. I do know it's a new style big bearing 2 x 3.562 with 3/8" bolts. The offset seems to be 2.36" because I measure 2.250" to the face of the backing plate, which assuming is something like 0.110" thick would have the offset there. I've seen other offsets of 2.500" but it's definitely not that much.

I know Ford was a bit wild using different parts in the old days, so in many cases there's no counting on exact model year components. I'm looking for some details on my axle shafts as they relate to the drum brakes.

The flange of my axles is 6 5/8" O.D. and the "center coin" (I know there's a real name for this) is 2.900" O.D. and 0.270" high. The center hole in the brake drums doesn't seem to properly fit over this "coin".....the studs have been changed to 5/8" and drums reamed but I don't think that makes any difference here.

I need to rebuild the drum brakes but need to know what to order for what model or year and the drums should obviously fit over the "coin".

Does any of this help any of you tell me more about what this 9" is?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds like the typical full size truck, Bronco 9" rear axle from late 70's up thru 1985. Probably has tapered axle bearings. I'd say there isn't much difference from late 70's up thru the end of the 9" in ~1985-1986??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Spend a little time playing with year differences on an auto parts store search. You should start to see a pattern of what year 9" rear axles used the same brakes. I know the late 70's thru mid 80's full size truck/Bronco stuff I've looked at in junkyard rounds looks to be all the same. The dead giveaway difference is if the axle has 1/2" axle retainer studs vs. the 3/8" you have.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,089 Posts
Does it still have the stock spring perches? If it does may help narrow down what it is as the bronco got extra wide ones compared to what the f-150 had. I have some known drums off of 78/79 broncos at home I will try and check the ID of that hole on too so maybe I can tell you what yours is if it matches. Or if those will fit your current setup

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does it still have the stock spring perches? If it does may help narrow down what it is as the bronco got extra wide ones compared to what the f-150 had. I have some known drums off of 78/79 broncos at home I will try and check the ID of that hole on too so maybe I can tell you what yours is if it matches. Or if those will fit your current setup
Are you saying the Bronco had wider leafs or that the distance between leafs was wider? I have a pair of leaf pads that I cut off a full width axle housing that I could measure. I shortened the housing to stick it under a 69 Bronco.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,089 Posts
The bronco leaf perches on the axle should be wider then what would of came on an f150, as the springs are wider, at least I have seen a 78 f-150 axle with thinner perches on it and thinner springs....

After doing some quick homework it looks like only a 2 wheel drive f-150 would have the smaller perches. The 4x4 is the same as a bronco.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So you are talking about the actual springs themselves being wider. I will measure the leaf pads I cut off....what width of spring are you seeing? Just to clarify, the center to center measurement from drivers side leaf to passenger side leaf is the same?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Bronco is linked so unfortunately there are no spring perches. Appreciate the check of your drums though.....thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts