Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with 9" rear Diff. ID... TheFactory sticker on the door jam refers to the axle code as 16 which on the drivetrain.com site says it is an open diff with 3.73 ratio. However, I looked for a differential tag on the carrier but it is gone.

There are numbers stamped on the pinion retainer, they are 13115 and E3TWBA
I jacked the rear up and spun the wheels and it acts like it is a limited slip. Drivetrain.com has an E3 code for limited slip diff.
Also my front differential is a D44 and it's ratio is 3.50 based on the BOM.

Any ideas based on the 13115 or E3TWBA # what the ratio of the rear diff is and wheter or not it is open or LS diff?

Thaks in advance!

lobo

·
Registered
787 Posts
If the tag's gone, and it and it's a limited slip where the door tag indicates an open diff then it sounds like it's been changed at one point.

If you're positive the front is 3.50:1 then just put it in 4wd and drive it a bit. If nothing breaks then the rear is also 3.50:1! :toothless

BTW... are you even sure it's a 9" rear?

·
Registered
8 Posts
a 9inch has a removablethirdmamber.

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
when you say it acted like a limited slip did one tire go forward and the other go forward or backward?

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
And just to reiterate what ValkariaKid. your profile says 86 bronco. 86's didnt have a 9 inch unless it was swapped in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ValkariaKid said:
If the tag's gone, and it and it's a limited slip where the door tag indicates an open diff then it sounds like it's been changed at one point.

If you're positive the front is 3.50:1 then just put it in 4wd and drive it a bit. If nothing breaks then the rear is also 3.50:1! :toothless

BTW... are you even sure it's a 9" rear?

Thanks Valkaria... Yes I am certain it is a 9". Drove it in 4WD no problems. Anybody have any ideas about the #'S referenced?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fordman7795 said:
And just to reiterate what ValkariaKid. your profile says 86 bronco. 86's didnt have a 9 inch unless it was swapped in.
From what I can tell it was issued as an 86 but manufactured in 85. Definitely a 9" carrier on front 10 bolt pattern

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fordman7795 said:
when you say it acted like a limited slip did one tire go forward and the other go forward or backward?

Jacked it up, spun the tires, 1 tire went forward, the other did not do anything. I reversed rotation then 1 went forward the other went backward, but it did not seem to engage for a while on the other side.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The 9" was used up until 1986 ... it was very rare after 1983, but it was used now and again until that time. Welcome to the wonderful world of ford.
In 1980-86 an axle code of 16 would denote 3.50/3.54 gearing .... from the factory manual (also, my 81 Bronco has a code of 16 and 3.50's all around) the 9" would have 3.50 and an 8.8 would have 3.54 during this time (the front D44 TTB was available with both sets)

E3TWBA - is the casting date for the retainer only - it denotes a 1983 casting date (E3)
The fact that it has a bearing retainer on the pumpkin negates the possibility of it being an 8.8 rear (the only other axle available under a Bronco - unless you found the highly elusive white rhino - the 3/4 ton Bronco)
so being that pretty much only the 14 bolt (10.50" variety), Ford 8", Ford 9", Ford 9 3/4" and the Eaton 12" (Chevy 3/4T+ pre '72) were using the removable pinion bearing retainer (others used them but would be very unlikely to find their way under a bronco) ...... pretty much narrows it down to either a mis ID'd axle or he has one of the last stock installed 9" rears under his Bronco.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rockfrog said:
The 9" was used up until 1986 ... it was very rare after 1983, but it was used now and again until that time. Welcome to the wonderful world of ford.
In 1980-86 an axle code of 16 would denote 3.50/3.54 gearing .... from the factory manual (also, my 81 Bronco has a code of 16 and 3.50's all around) the 9" would have 3.50 and an 8.8 would have 3.54 during this time (the front D44 TTB was available with both sets)

E3TWBA - is the casting date for the retainer only - it denotes a 1983 casting date (E3)
The fact that it has a bearing retainer on the pumpkin negates the possibility of it being an 8.8 rear (the only other axle available under a Bronco - unless you found the highly elusive white rhino - the 3/4 ton Bronco)
so being that pretty much only the 14 bolt (10.50" variety), Ford 8", Ford 9", Ford 9 3/4" and the Eaton 12" (Chevy 3/4T+ pre '72) were using the removable pinion bearing retainer (others used them but would be very unlikely to find their way under a bronco) ...... pretty much narrows it down to either a mis ID'd axle or he has one of the last stock installed 9" rears under his Bronco.
I appreciate the info Dave.. I am pretty sure it is a 3.5 especially if the D44 being 3.50's still not sure if it is LS though.....gonna have to check when I pull the carrier.

Thanks to all
lobo:beer

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are a couple of pics for your viewing pleasure... oh BTW the sway bars are indeed coming off!!! (lol):D

[/IMG]

lobo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
9 for sure like I said, but still unsure if it is LS any way to know without pulling carrier?

·
Registered
326 Posts
lobo55 said:
9 for sure like I said, but still unsure if it is LS any way to know without pulling carrier?
A quick and dirty way would be to chock the front tires, put the truck in neutral, jack one of the rear wheels off the ground and see if it will turn. Usually if it's LS it won't.

Or just gun it on gravel to see if it leaves two ruts instead of one :toothless

·
Unregistered User
697 Posts
Dixie Pirate said:
Or just gun it on gravel to see if it leaves two ruts instead of one :toothless
I've got an open 8.8 in my 89 and I regularly leave two ruts when I mash out on gravel/dirt....which is just about every morning leaving my driveway. Filling them in every couple weeks sux.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts