Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
well the nine never came with a drain plug. you can either add one, or try sucking it out the fill tube.

but if your puking chocolate milk I would pull the axles and clean everything out, then again your axle shaft seals will leak from then on.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
you can't pull the diff out unless you pull the axle shafts.

I guess you could pull the pinion out, but you have to remember to put the shims back in.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
good luck, I had a terrible time sucking the oil out of my 9 inch. I ended up unbolting the axle, and rotating it so that it would drain out the fill hole.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
never thought about it till you said it. I looked through some write ups, and I dont want to take the axles out cuz im sure I willl screw something up.

I still have your tool, not trying to keep it or anything
forgot about that, somewhere on my supermotors is a pic of the drain plug I installed in my 9inch before I swapped to the 14bolt, I probably still have the tap you could borrow.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
I looked at your pics,didnt you weld it?
No, drilled a hole off to one side of the housing, tapped it for a flush mount plug and done. I figured by having it off to one side it would be less likely to be damaged and if I needed to fully drain the housing I could jack up one side of the axle, If you your going to do it with the fluid in, just wrap the drill in a plastic bag and use a drill bit stop to keep from drilling to far into the housing.

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
I have found that pulling the pinion gear is the easiest way to go (if you don't have a drain plug) to change the oil in the 9". The shims shouldn't be an issue as the o-ring/packing will prevent them from falling off, but you will need to install a new o-ring/packing and put a light coat of RTV on the pinion flange before you re-install it to help prevent leaks. Just remember to put a drip pan under the pinion to catch the oil that will drain out when you pull it. Other wise you have a puddle of gear oil on the drive way and a pissed off wife - "it's a driveway, not the living room."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts