Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering if anyone had any info on the 9 inch rears that came in our truck, most important to me is
Backing plate to backing plate width
What size end bearings did they come with? 2.891's?
is it a B-case (im looking at used lockers and it came up?)

thanks for any and all help,

NA

·
Registered
396 Posts
was wondering if anyone had any info on the 9 inch rears that came in our truck, most important to me is
Backing plate to backing plate width
What size end bearings did they come with? 2.891's?
is it a B-case (im looking at used lockers and it came up?)

thanks for any and all help,

NA
Why would that make any difference? Any 9" center cection will fit any 9" housing. The big bearing uses 1/2"retaining bolts/studs and the small bearing uses 3/8"

Small on the left.
Info from http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=4wheeldrive&cdn=autos&tm=90&gps=172_566_1152_864&f=20&tt=14&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~i6735189/rearaxle.htm

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would that make any difference? Any 9" center cection will fit any 9" housing. The big bearing uses 1/2"retaining bolts/studs and the small bearing uses 3/8"
I know, i was curious just in case i found a housing cheaper, it be nice to assemble everything before i pull the one in the truck.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Big bearings came with either 3/8" (later years?) or 1/2" retaining bolts (earlier years).

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have a Q? pertainig to the 9" so I am going to piggy back this thread, I got a 78 Bronco 9" rear with 4:10's in it, what differential do you think is in it ? did they come with trac locs at all ? there are no tags on it so I'll have to open it to know for sure, but I just wanted to ask if it is at all possible that it came from the factory with one ? I know anything could have happened through the years. Thanks....Salt-Man

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Yes, you could get a trac-loc as a factory option. Sometimes you can tell if you have the trac-loc in the rear by jacking up the rear end so that both tires are off the ground and spin one side, if the other side rotates in the same direction, you have some sort of locker installed.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yea I don't remember if it did or not ? I don't think it did ? but I will check it out, thanks for the speedy response with the info. it is appreciated...:beer

·
Registered
461 Posts
The Broncos are B or E. The N and H case parts won't fit your center section. I'm not sure if both the B & E have the 1.78" ID bearing surface or not; I believe they may, because I want to say they are interchangeable the only difference is B is fitted with 2.891" and E is 3.062" OD bearings.

Can anyone confirm? It's been too long since I put mine in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts